Oct 4, 2013, 2:32 PM EDT
NLDS Game 2 between the Pirates and the Cardinals is, as I write this, in the top of the fifth inning. And the story today is very different than it was yesterday.
Pittsburgh leads 5-1 at the moment, and Pirates fans can thank Gerrit Cole for much of that margin. Cole is dealing, having sailed through the first four innings, allowing one hit and striking out three while tossing only 51 pitches. Cole plated the game’s first run with an RBI single in the second. The Pirates have added runs via a two-run homer from Pedro Alvarez in the third and a ground rule double from Marlon Byrd, which sent Justin Morneau home after a double of his own.
As the fifth inning wears on, Lance Lynn has just been pulled from the game by Mike Matheny, his last act issuing a walk to Alvarez. Two on, one out and the Pirates are threatening to score again and to even up the NLDS before it heads back to Pittsburgh.
UPDATE: Make that 5-0, as Russell Martin just singled in Byrd.
UPDATE 2: Make it 5-1 after five, as Yadier Molina hit a homer off Cole. Then Cole retired the side 1-2-3. We go on to the sixth.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 136
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 83
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (139)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (84)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)