Oct 4, 2013, 2:32 PM EDT
NLDS Game 2 between the Pirates and the Cardinals is, as I write this, in the top of the fifth inning. And the story today is very different than it was yesterday.
Pittsburgh leads 5-1 at the moment, and Pirates fans can thank Gerrit Cole for much of that margin. Cole is dealing, having sailed through the first four innings, allowing one hit and striking out three while tossing only 51 pitches. Cole plated the game’s first run with an RBI single in the second. The Pirates have added runs via a two-run homer from Pedro Alvarez in the third and a ground rule double from Marlon Byrd, which sent Justin Morneau home after a double of his own.
As the fifth inning wears on, Lance Lynn has just been pulled from the game by Mike Matheny, his last act issuing a walk to Alvarez. Two on, one out and the Pirates are threatening to score again and to even up the NLDS before it heads back to Pittsburgh.
UPDATE: Make that 5-0, as Russell Martin just singled in Byrd.
UPDATE 2: Make it 5-1 after five, as Yadier Molina hit a homer off Cole. Then Cole retired the side 1-2-3. We go on to the sixth.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)