Oct 4, 2013, 9:51 PM EDT
Athletics starter Bartolo Colon got off to a very shaky start to kick off Game 1 of the ALDS against the Tigers. Austin Jackson doubled to right to lead off the inning. Colon then hit Torii Hunter with a pitch, and followed it up with a first-pitch meatball to the hobbled Miguel Cabrera, who drove a single back up the middle to score Jackson. Prince Fielder helped out by grounding into a 6-4-3 double play, but Hunter scored in the process.
Victor Martinez kept the inning alive by driving a ball to left-center, good enough for a double. He came around to score on a ground ball single by Alex Avila, which was deflected into shallow right field off of the glove of Athletics first baseman Daric Barton.
With just a half-inning in the books, Colon has already thrown 18 pitches and Tigers starter Max Scherzer has a three-run cushion with which to work. Not a bad start for the AL Central champion Tigers.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)