Oct 4, 2013, 9:51 PM EDT
Athletics starter Bartolo Colon got off to a very shaky start to kick off Game 1 of the ALDS against the Tigers. Austin Jackson doubled to right to lead off the inning. Colon then hit Torii Hunter with a pitch, and followed it up with a first-pitch meatball to the hobbled Miguel Cabrera, who drove a single back up the middle to score Jackson. Prince Fielder helped out by grounding into a 6-4-3 double play, but Hunter scored in the process.
Victor Martinez kept the inning alive by driving a ball to left-center, good enough for a double. He came around to score on a ground ball single by Alex Avila, which was deflected into shallow right field off of the glove of Athletics first baseman Daric Barton.
With just a half-inning in the books, Colon has already thrown 18 pitches and Tigers starter Max Scherzer has a three-run cushion with which to work. Not a bad start for the AL Central champion Tigers.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 31
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 18
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)