Oct 4, 2013, 9:51 PM EDT
Athletics starter Bartolo Colon got off to a very shaky start to kick off Game 1 of the ALDS against the Tigers. Austin Jackson doubled to right to lead off the inning. Colon then hit Torii Hunter with a pitch, and followed it up with a first-pitch meatball to the hobbled Miguel Cabrera, who drove a single back up the middle to score Jackson. Prince Fielder helped out by grounding into a 6-4-3 double play, but Hunter scored in the process.
Victor Martinez kept the inning alive by driving a ball to left-center, good enough for a double. He came around to score on a ground ball single by Alex Avila, which was deflected into shallow right field off of the glove of Athletics first baseman Daric Barton.
With just a half-inning in the books, Colon has already thrown 18 pitches and Tigers starter Max Scherzer has a three-run cushion with which to work. Not a bad start for the AL Central champion Tigers.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 44
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 60
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)