Oct 4, 2013, 9:51 PM EDT
Athletics starter Bartolo Colon got off to a very shaky start to kick off Game 1 of the ALDS against the Tigers. Austin Jackson doubled to right to lead off the inning. Colon then hit Torii Hunter with a pitch, and followed it up with a first-pitch meatball to the hobbled Miguel Cabrera, who drove a single back up the middle to score Jackson. Prince Fielder helped out by grounding into a 6-4-3 double play, but Hunter scored in the process.
Victor Martinez kept the inning alive by driving a ball to left-center, good enough for a double. He came around to score on a ground ball single by Alex Avila, which was deflected into shallow right field off of the glove of Athletics first baseman Daric Barton.
With just a half-inning in the books, Colon has already thrown 18 pitches and Tigers starter Max Scherzer has a three-run cushion with which to work. Not a bad start for the AL Central champion Tigers.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 3
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 21
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)