Oct 4, 2013, 9:51 PM EDT
Athletics starter Bartolo Colon got off to a very shaky start to kick off Game 1 of the ALDS against the Tigers. Austin Jackson doubled to right to lead off the inning. Colon then hit Torii Hunter with a pitch, and followed it up with a first-pitch meatball to the hobbled Miguel Cabrera, who drove a single back up the middle to score Jackson. Prince Fielder helped out by grounding into a 6-4-3 double play, but Hunter scored in the process.
Victor Martinez kept the inning alive by driving a ball to left-center, good enough for a double. He came around to score on a ground ball single by Alex Avila, which was deflected into shallow right field off of the glove of Athletics first baseman Daric Barton.
With just a half-inning in the books, Colon has already thrown 18 pitches and Tigers starter Max Scherzer has a three-run cushion with which to work. Not a bad start for the AL Central champion Tigers.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 13
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 34
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)