Oct 4, 2013, 12:42 AM EDT
Batting fifth for just the second time as a major leaguer, Yasiel Puig went 2-for-3 and collected an outfield assist in his first postseason game as the Dodgers beat the Braves 6-1 on Thursday.
Puig got his first at-bat in the second, singled into center and then hustled his way to third on another single to center. He went on to score on Skip Schumaker‘s sac fly, giving the Dodgers their first run.
The outfield assist came in the bottom of the second on a little fly to shallow right with Evan Gattis on first. Puig didn’t appear to intentionally deke Gattis, but with the way he kept his glove down to his side as he was coming in on the ball, Gattis apparently thought it was going to drop. It turned into an easy double play for the Dodgers.
Puig singled again in the third and was hit by a pitch in the fifth. He struck out in his last two at-bats in the sixth and ninth.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)