Oct 4, 2013, 12:42 AM EDT
Batting fifth for just the second time as a major leaguer, Yasiel Puig went 2-for-3 and collected an outfield assist in his first postseason game as the Dodgers beat the Braves 6-1 on Thursday.
Puig got his first at-bat in the second, singled into center and then hustled his way to third on another single to center. He went on to score on Skip Schumaker‘s sac fly, giving the Dodgers their first run.
The outfield assist came in the bottom of the second on a little fly to shallow right with Evan Gattis on first. Puig didn’t appear to intentionally deke Gattis, but with the way he kept his glove down to his side as he was coming in on the ball, Gattis apparently thought it was going to drop. It turned into an easy double play for the Dodgers.
Puig singled again in the third and was hit by a pitch in the fifth. He struck out in his last two at-bats in the sixth and ninth.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)