Oct 5, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Carlos Beltran still has a job to do with the Cardinals during the postseason, but he didn’t a rule out a return to the Mets when asked by Mike Puma of the New York Post yesterday.
Really, what else is Beltran supposed to say here? He’ll be looking for the best deal possible in free agency this winter, so eliminating an potential landing spot would be silly. Of course, the tail end of Beltran’s tenure in New York was a bit awkward after he had knee surgery against the Mets’ wishes in 2010, but Puma notes that Beltran and Jeff Wilpon chatted at the All-Star Game this year at Citi Field and may have cleared the air on the past.
For what it’s worth, Puma hears that the Mets would consider Beltran in free agency, but have concerns about his declining range in right field. Given that he turns 37 next April and has had knee issues, that’s understandable. Still, the Mets will have money to spend this winter and outfield is an obvious area of need.
Beltran batted .296/.339/.491 with 24 home runs and 84 RBI over 145 games with St. Louis this season. He compiled a .280/.369/.500 batting line to go along with 149 home runs, 559 RBI, and 100 stolen bases in 839 games with the Mets from 2005-2011.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)