Oct 5, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Carlos Beltran still has a job to do with the Cardinals during the postseason, but he didn’t a rule out a return to the Mets when asked by Mike Puma of the New York Post yesterday.
Beltran says he won't rule out Mets if they pursue him: "Maybe I'll see you, maybe I won't," he said laughing.—
Mike Puma (@NYPost_Mets) October 04, 2013
Really, what else is Beltran supposed to say here? He’ll be looking for the best deal possible in free agency this winter, so eliminating an potential landing spot would be silly. Of course, the tail end of Beltran’s tenure in New York was a bit awkward after he had knee surgery against the Mets’ wishes in 2010, but Puma notes that Beltran and Jeff Wilpon chatted at the All-Star Game this year at Citi Field and may have cleared the air on the past.
For what it’s worth, Puma hears that the Mets would consider Beltran in free agency, but have concerns about his declining range in right field. Given that he turns 37 next April and has had knee issues, that’s understandable. Still, the Mets will have money to spend this winter and outfield is an obvious area of need.
Beltran batted .296/.339/.491 with 24 home runs and 84 RBI over 145 games with St. Louis this season. He compiled a .280/.369/.500 batting line to go along with 149 home runs, 559 RBI, and 100 stolen bases in 839 games with the Mets from 2005-2011.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 1
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 236
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (236)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)