Oct 5, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Carlos Beltran still has a job to do with the Cardinals during the postseason, but he didn’t a rule out a return to the Mets when asked by Mike Puma of the New York Post yesterday.
Really, what else is Beltran supposed to say here? He’ll be looking for the best deal possible in free agency this winter, so eliminating an potential landing spot would be silly. Of course, the tail end of Beltran’s tenure in New York was a bit awkward after he had knee surgery against the Mets’ wishes in 2010, but Puma notes that Beltran and Jeff Wilpon chatted at the All-Star Game this year at Citi Field and may have cleared the air on the past.
For what it’s worth, Puma hears that the Mets would consider Beltran in free agency, but have concerns about his declining range in right field. Given that he turns 37 next April and has had knee issues, that’s understandable. Still, the Mets will have money to spend this winter and outfield is an obvious area of need.
Beltran batted .296/.339/.491 with 24 home runs and 84 RBI over 145 games with St. Louis this season. He compiled a .280/.369/.500 batting line to go along with 149 home runs, 559 RBI, and 100 stolen bases in 839 games with the Mets from 2005-2011.
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 26
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 24
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 23
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 42
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 64
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 94
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)