Oct 5, 2013, 10:04 PM EST
David Ortiz had himself quite a ballgame in Game 2 of the ALDS, hitting two solo home runs off of Rays starter David Price. The first was a no-doubter to right-center that increased the Red Sox lead to 2-0 in the first inning. The second home run came in the bottom of the eighth that extended the Sox lead to 7-4, a drive down the right field line that wrapped around Pesky’s Pole.
Not sure if the ball would stay fair, Ortiz stood at home plate and observed the ball as it took flight, perhaps trying to will it to stay fair. After the game, Price told the media he thought Ortiz gawked at it a bit too long:
Price had a problem with Ortiz watching his 2nd homer. “As soon as he hit it and I saw it, I knew it was fair – run,” Price said.
— David Lennon (@DPLennon) October 6, 2013
Video of the homer below:
It’s tough to see exactly how long Ortiz watched because the TBS feed cut away to follow the flight path of the ball, but he has done much, much worse. And frankly, Ortiz leering at his dinger should be pretty low on the list of Price’s worries following his outing in which he allowed seven runs in seven-plus innings of work.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 61
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 31
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)