Oct 5, 2013, 10:04 PM EST
David Ortiz had himself quite a ballgame in Game 2 of the ALDS, hitting two solo home runs off of Rays starter David Price. The first was a no-doubter to right-center that increased the Red Sox lead to 2-0 in the first inning. The second home run came in the bottom of the eighth that extended the Sox lead to 7-4, a drive down the right field line that wrapped around Pesky’s Pole.
Not sure if the ball would stay fair, Ortiz stood at home plate and observed the ball as it took flight, perhaps trying to will it to stay fair. After the game, Price told the media he thought Ortiz gawked at it a bit too long:
Price had a problem with Ortiz watching his 2nd homer. “As soon as he hit it and I saw it, I knew it was fair – run,” Price said.
— David Lennon (@DPLennon) October 6, 2013
Video of the homer below:
It’s tough to see exactly how long Ortiz watched because the TBS feed cut away to follow the flight path of the ball, but he has done much, much worse. And frankly, Ortiz leering at his dinger should be pretty low on the list of Price’s worries following his outing in which he allowed seven runs in seven-plus innings of work.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 0
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 42
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 39
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)