Oct 5, 2013, 10:04 PM EDT
David Ortiz had himself quite a ballgame in Game 2 of the ALDS, hitting two solo home runs off of Rays starter David Price. The first was a no-doubter to right-center that increased the Red Sox lead to 2-0 in the first inning. The second home run came in the bottom of the eighth that extended the Sox lead to 7-4, a drive down the right field line that wrapped around Pesky’s Pole.
Not sure if the ball would stay fair, Ortiz stood at home plate and observed the ball as it took flight, perhaps trying to will it to stay fair. After the game, Price told the media he thought Ortiz gawked at it a bit too long:
Price had a problem with Ortiz watching his 2nd homer. “As soon as he hit it and I saw it, I knew it was fair – run,” Price said.
— David Lennon (@DPLennon) October 6, 2013
Video of the homer below:
It’s tough to see exactly how long Ortiz watched because the TBS feed cut away to follow the flight path of the ball, but he has done much, much worse. And frankly, Ortiz leering at his dinger should be pretty low on the list of Price’s worries following his outing in which he allowed seven runs in seven-plus innings of work.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 333
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 71
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (333)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (160)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)