Oct 5, 2013, 10:04 PM EDT
David Ortiz had himself quite a ballgame in Game 2 of the ALDS, hitting two solo home runs off of Rays starter David Price. The first was a no-doubter to right-center that increased the Red Sox lead to 2-0 in the first inning. The second home run came in the bottom of the eighth that extended the Sox lead to 7-4, a drive down the right field line that wrapped around Pesky’s Pole.
Not sure if the ball would stay fair, Ortiz stood at home plate and observed the ball as it took flight, perhaps trying to will it to stay fair. After the game, Price told the media he thought Ortiz gawked at it a bit too long:
Price had a problem with Ortiz watching his 2nd homer. “As soon as he hit it and I saw it, I knew it was fair – run,” Price said.
— David Lennon (@DPLennon) October 6, 2013
Video of the homer below:
It’s tough to see exactly how long Ortiz watched because the TBS feed cut away to follow the flight path of the ball, but he has done much, much worse. And frankly, Ortiz leering at his dinger should be pretty low on the list of Price’s worries following his outing in which he allowed seven runs in seven-plus innings of work.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)