Oct 5, 2013, 10:04 PM EDT
David Ortiz had himself quite a ballgame in Game 2 of the ALDS, hitting two solo home runs off of Rays starter David Price. The first was a no-doubter to right-center that increased the Red Sox lead to 2-0 in the first inning. The second home run came in the bottom of the eighth that extended the Sox lead to 7-4, a drive down the right field line that wrapped around Pesky’s Pole.
Not sure if the ball would stay fair, Ortiz stood at home plate and observed the ball as it took flight, perhaps trying to will it to stay fair. After the game, Price told the media he thought Ortiz gawked at it a bit too long:
Price had a problem with Ortiz watching his 2nd homer. “As soon as he hit it and I saw it, I knew it was fair – run,” Price said.
— David Lennon (@DPLennon) October 6, 2013
Video of the homer below:
It’s tough to see exactly how long Ortiz watched because the TBS feed cut away to follow the flight path of the ball, but he has done much, much worse. And frankly, Ortiz leering at his dinger should be pretty low on the list of Price’s worries following his outing in which he allowed seven runs in seven-plus innings of work.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 16
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 58
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)