Oct 5, 2013, 1:13 PM EDT
Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu is currently scheduled to square off against Braves right-hander Julio Teheran in Game 3 of the NLDS on Sunday in Los Angeles, but Ken Gurnick of MLB.com noticed something that would appear to indicate that he’s not feeling 100 percent at the moment.
For example, Ryu worked out this week with a compression sleeve on his left elbow. He also threw a bullpen session Friday with team surgeon Neal ElAttrache, medical director Stan Conte and manager Don Mattingly watching.
Ryu generally does not throw bullpen sessions between starts, and especially not two days before a start. He appeared to throw without discomfort.
Asked about his arm after Game 1, Ryu said he was “fine” and that he was wearing the sleeve to “keep my arm loose.”
It could be nothing and there’s no indication that the Dodgers are considering making a change, but this is a situation that bears watching over the next 24 hours. Ricky Nolasco is currently lined up to start Game 4 on Monday while the Dodgers have left-hander Chris Capuano as rotation insurance. However, Capuano hasn’t thrown more than 1 2/3 innings in a game since August 31.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)