Oct 5, 2013, 1:13 PM EDT
Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu is currently scheduled to square off against Braves right-hander Julio Teheran in Game 3 of the NLDS on Sunday in Los Angeles, but Ken Gurnick of MLB.com noticed something that would appear to indicate that he’s not feeling 100 percent at the moment.
For example, Ryu worked out this week with a compression sleeve on his left elbow. He also threw a bullpen session Friday with team surgeon Neal ElAttrache, medical director Stan Conte and manager Don Mattingly watching.
Ryu generally does not throw bullpen sessions between starts, and especially not two days before a start. He appeared to throw without discomfort.
Asked about his arm after Game 1, Ryu said he was “fine” and that he was wearing the sleeve to “keep my arm loose.”
It could be nothing and there’s no indication that the Dodgers are considering making a change, but this is a situation that bears watching over the next 24 hours. Ricky Nolasco is currently lined up to start Game 4 on Monday while the Dodgers have left-hander Chris Capuano as rotation insurance. However, Capuano hasn’t thrown more than 1 2/3 innings in a game since August 31.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 52
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 12
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 32
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 34
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (184)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)