Oct 5, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT
David Price may have pitched the Rays past a treacherous Game 163 to get into the Wild Card playoff, but the Red Sox clearly aren’t impressed. The Rays’ lefty, who led the league with a 5.6 strikeout-to-walk ratio and four complete games, was tagged for two runs in the first inning due to two of the more prominent features of the Red Sox offense.
Jacoby Ellsbury led off the bottom of the first with a bloop single to right field. Ellsbury paced the league with 52 steals during the regular season, so it was no surprise that he would attempt to swipe second base against Price and catcher Jose Molina. He did, and Molina’s throw was a bit off the mark, trickling into the outfield, allowing Ellsbury to scamper to third base. Shane Victorino then grounded out, leaving Ellsbury 90 feet from home plate with one out. Dustin Pedroia picked up his teammate, driving a fly ball to center field, more than deep enough to allow Ellsbury to trot home for the game’s first run. David Ortiz followed up by driving a 1-0 cutter deep to right-center for a solo home run. Price ended the inning by striking out Mike Napoli.
The Red Sox easily disposed of the Rays 12-2 in Game 1 of the ALDS yesterday and are in a good situation leading 2-0 in Game 2 with one inning in the books. The Rays would prefer not to head home to Tampa trailing 0-2 in a best-of-five series.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 6
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)