Oct 5, 2013, 9:41 AM EDT
Behind a solid start from Jon Lester and a whole lot of offense, the Red Sox blew out the Rays in Game 1 of the ALDS yesterday by the score of 12-2. The two teams will meet again today at Fenway Park at 5:30 p.m. ET. The game will be broadcast on TBS.
Here’s a quick look at the pitching matchup and some random notes:
John Lackey will get the ball for the Red Sox following a resurgent season in which he posted a 3.52 ERA and 161/40 K/BB ratio over 189 1/3 innings. The 34-year-old has been especially effective at home this season, compiling a 2.78 ERA in 16 starts at Fenway Park compared to a 4.35 ERA in 13 starts on the road. Lackey made two starts against the Rays during the regular season and was knocked around pretty good, allowing nine runs on 19 hits (including two home runs) and two walks over nine innings.
Coming off a complete game victory in Monday’s tiebreaker game against the Rangers, David Price will start for the Rays. The southpaw finished the regular season with a 3.33 ERA and 151/27 K/BB ratio in 186 2/3 innings. He has thrived at Fenway Park during his career, including a 1.21 ERA and 20/2 K/BB ratio in 22 1/3 innings across three starts this season.
As for Boston’s lineup, the big change for Game 2 is that David Ross will start behind the plate and catch Lackey while Jarrod Saltalamacchia will take a seat. Meanwhile, Jonny Gomes is expected to remain in left field with another left-hander on the mound for Tampa Bay.
Not surprisingly, Rays manager Joe Maddon figures to tinker with his lineup a bit more. Jose Molina caught most of Price’s starts during the regular season, so look for him to play rather than Game 1 catcher Jose Lobaton. We’ll also likely see David DeJesus in left field (and possibly in the leadoff spot) while Sean Rodriguez figures to take a seat with a right-hander on the mound for Boston. With Maddon’s penchant for mixing-and-matching, other changes are possible.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 31
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)