Oct 5, 2013, 9:41 AM EST
Behind a solid start from Jon Lester and a whole lot of offense, the Red Sox blew out the Rays in Game 1 of the ALDS yesterday by the score of 12-2. The two teams will meet again today at Fenway Park at 5:30 p.m. ET. The game will be broadcast on TBS.
Here’s a quick look at the pitching matchup and some random notes:
John Lackey will get the ball for the Red Sox following a resurgent season in which he posted a 3.52 ERA and 161/40 K/BB ratio over 189 1/3 innings. The 34-year-old has been especially effective at home this season, compiling a 2.78 ERA in 16 starts at Fenway Park compared to a 4.35 ERA in 13 starts on the road. Lackey made two starts against the Rays during the regular season and was knocked around pretty good, allowing nine runs on 19 hits (including two home runs) and two walks over nine innings.
Coming off a complete game victory in Monday’s tiebreaker game against the Rangers, David Price will start for the Rays. The southpaw finished the regular season with a 3.33 ERA and 151/27 K/BB ratio in 186 2/3 innings. He has thrived at Fenway Park during his career, including a 1.21 ERA and 20/2 K/BB ratio in 22 1/3 innings across three starts this season.
As for Boston’s lineup, the big change for Game 2 is that David Ross will start behind the plate and catch Lackey while Jarrod Saltalamacchia will take a seat. Meanwhile, Jonny Gomes is expected to remain in left field with another left-hander on the mound for Tampa Bay.
Not surprisingly, Rays manager Joe Maddon figures to tinker with his lineup a bit more. Jose Molina caught most of Price’s starts during the regular season, so look for him to play rather than Game 1 catcher Jose Lobaton. We’ll also likely see David DeJesus in left field (and possibly in the leadoff spot) while Sean Rodriguez figures to take a seat with a right-hander on the mound for Boston. With Maddon’s penchant for mixing-and-matching, other changes are possible.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 18
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 74
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)