Oct 5, 2013, 12:31 PM EST
The Blue Jays announced yesterday that left-hander Ricky Romero was outrighted to Triple-A Buffalo. This is the second time this year that he has passed through waivers unclaimed.
Of course, that shouldn’t be a big surprise at this point, but it’s just the latest indication of how far Romero has fallen since he posted a 2.92 ERA during his age-26 season in 2011. The southpaw struggled miserably with his control in 2012 while putting up a 5.77 ERA in 32 starts and attempts to fix his mechanics this year were largely unsuccessful, as he had a 5.78 ERA and 81/63 K/BB ratio over 113 2/3 innings in Triple-A and allowed nine runs on 11 hits and eight walks over 7 1/3 innings with the big club.
Romero, who turns 29 next month, is still owed $7.5 million in each of the next two seasons while his $13.1 million option for 2016 carries a $600,000 buyout. He’s not occupying a spot on the 40-man roster, so the Blue Jays will have to hope he figures something out while toiling in the minor leagues.
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 4
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)