Oct 5, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
The Blue Jays announced yesterday that left-hander Ricky Romero was outrighted to Triple-A Buffalo. This is the second time this year that he has passed through waivers unclaimed.
Of course, that shouldn’t be a big surprise at this point, but it’s just the latest indication of how far Romero has fallen since he posted a 2.92 ERA during his age-26 season in 2011. The southpaw struggled miserably with his control in 2012 while putting up a 5.77 ERA in 32 starts and attempts to fix his mechanics this year were largely unsuccessful, as he had a 5.78 ERA and 81/63 K/BB ratio over 113 2/3 innings in Triple-A and allowed nine runs on 11 hits and eight walks over 7 1/3 innings with the big club.
Romero, who turns 29 next month, is still owed $7.5 million in each of the next two seasons while his $13.1 million option for 2016 carries a $600,000 buyout. He’s not occupying a spot on the 40-man roster, so the Blue Jays will have to hope he figures something out while toiling in the minor leagues.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)