Oct 5, 2013, 10:33 PM EDT
It’s a pitching duel between a 23-year-old rookie and a 30-year-old veteran in Game 2 of the ALDS between the Athletics and Tigers. A’s rookie Sonny Gray has shut out the Tigers through four innings, using a mid-90’s fastball and a knee-bending curve to keep Tiger hitters at bay. Thus far, he has struck out five while surrendering just two hits: one to Miguel Cabrera in the first, and an infield single to Don Kelly in the second. As of this posting, he has retired seven consecutive Tigers in a row. One thing to keep an eye on: he has thrown 63 pitches thus far.
Verlander, however, has been even better. He ended the regular season on a high note and appears to have brought it with him into the post-season. Through four frames, he has allowed just one hit — a two-out single up the middle by Josh Donaldson. Prior to that hit, Verlander retired the first 11 Athletics he faced. Overall, Verlander has struck out seven (and six of the seven A’s to have struck out have gone down looking). He is at 69 pitches through four innings.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 0
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 31
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 135
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (136)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)