Oct 5, 2013, 11:40 PM EDT
Folks, if you’re not watching this game, flip over to TBS on your TV. If you’re not the TV-owning type, head to your nearest sports bar because you’re not going to want to miss the conclusion of this game, as it’s been a complete pitcher’s duel through the first two and a half hours.
Tigers starter Justin Verlander retired the first 11 Athletics he faced and has allowed just four hits through seven frames. Overall, he has struck out 11 and walked one. The closest Verlander has been to danger came in the bottom of the fifth when the Athletics led off the inning with consecutive singles. However, a failed bunt attempt by Josh Reddick followed by two strikeouts put the kibosh on that rally. The A’s tried to put together a two-out rally in the seventh when Reddick singled to right to put runners at first and third, but Verlander escaped after a ten-pitch at-bat by Stephen Vogt, resulting in a strikeout. Vogt fouled off seven of the ten pitches he saw.
Athletics rookie starter Sonny Gray has matched Verlander, also holding the Tigers to three hits and two walks while striking out eight. Like Verlander, the fifth inning was a bit dicey for Gray. Omar Infante walked to lead off the inning, then advanced to second on a Don Kelly ground out. Jose Iglesias then reached on an infield single, putting runners at first and third with one out. Unfortunately for the Tigers, the Athletics executed a strike-him-out/throw-him-out double play, retiring Austin Jackson on strikes while catcher Stephen Vogt nailed Iglesias at second base.
Gray is at 97 pitches, Verlander 117. It looks like it will end up being a battle of the bullpens. Hold on to your seats.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (151)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)