Oct 5, 2013, 11:40 PM EDT
Folks, if you’re not watching this game, flip over to TBS on your TV. If you’re not the TV-owning type, head to your nearest sports bar because you’re not going to want to miss the conclusion of this game, as it’s been a complete pitcher’s duel through the first two and a half hours.
Tigers starter Justin Verlander retired the first 11 Athletics he faced and has allowed just four hits through seven frames. Overall, he has struck out 11 and walked one. The closest Verlander has been to danger came in the bottom of the fifth when the Athletics led off the inning with consecutive singles. However, a failed bunt attempt by Josh Reddick followed by two strikeouts put the kibosh on that rally. The A’s tried to put together a two-out rally in the seventh when Reddick singled to right to put runners at first and third, but Verlander escaped after a ten-pitch at-bat by Stephen Vogt, resulting in a strikeout. Vogt fouled off seven of the ten pitches he saw.
Athletics rookie starter Sonny Gray has matched Verlander, also holding the Tigers to three hits and two walks while striking out eight. Like Verlander, the fifth inning was a bit dicey for Gray. Omar Infante walked to lead off the inning, then advanced to second on a Don Kelly ground out. Jose Iglesias then reached on an infield single, putting runners at first and third with one out. Unfortunately for the Tigers, the Athletics executed a strike-him-out/throw-him-out double play, retiring Austin Jackson on strikes while catcher Stephen Vogt nailed Iglesias at second base.
Gray is at 97 pitches, Verlander 117. It looks like it will end up being a battle of the bullpens. Hold on to your seats.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 10
- Who really owns a home run ball? 59
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)