Oct 5, 2013, 2:02 PM EST
After passing through waivers and being outrighted off the Rockies’ 40-man roster last month, Tyler Colvin is now free to sign with any team. According to Matt Eddy of Baseball America, the 28-year-old has elected free agency.
Colvin was a first-round pick of the Cubs back in 2006 and hit .290 with 18 homers and an .858 OPS in 136 games for the Rockies last season, but he batted just .160/.192/.280 with three homers and 27 strikeouts in 27 games at the major league level this year. And while he hit .275 with nine homers and an .857 OPS in 67 games at the Triple-A level, those numbers must be taken with a grain of salt due to the hitter-friendly environment.
Colvin owns a 26.3 percent strikeout rate in the majors and hasn’t solved left-handing pitching, but he has real pop in his bat and his poor 2013 can be blamed in part on a back injury which sidelined him for a long stretch during the second half. He figures to generate plenty of interest as a buy-low type.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)