Oct 5, 2013, 1:19 AM EST
A triple and a two-run homer from Yoenis Cespedes simply wasn’t enough for the A’s Friday as the Tigers took Game 1 of the ALDS 3-2.
Cespedes was responsible for two-thirds of Oakland’s hits in the game. The other was a little infield single from Brandon Moss in the seventh. Immediately after that was when Cespedes hit his bomb off Max Scherzer. It was the only time Cespedes got to hit with a man on.
Besides Moss and Cespedes, the only Athletic to reach base safely was Coco Crisp. He did so three times via the walk. The A’s struck out 16 times, with Cespedes contributing two of those himself.
The no-name bottom of the order of Stephen Vogt, Daric Barton and Eric Sogard couldn’t get anything going, finishing 0-for-8. Barton, in there partly for his defense, had a misplay that contributed to the three-run first off Bartolo Colon and ended up striking out in all three of his at-bats. He may well take a seat on Saturday, with Moss moving back to first and possibly Seth Smith getting the nod at DH.
Scherzer allowed a total of 16 extra-base hits to right-handed hitters this year, making Cespedes’ showing especially impressive. It was the first time this year that Scherzer had given up a homer and another extra-base hit to a batter in the same game. The only two to have to extra-base hits off him were Nick Swisher (double, triple on May 10) and Asdrubal Cabrera (two doubles on Aug. 8).
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 23
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)