Pirates grab early lead over Cardinals in NLDS Game 3

Oct 6, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT

liriano getty Getty Images

Francisco Liriano‘s success against the Cardinals has been well-chronicled. And he has continued that pattern of pitching dominance in the early stages of this NLDS Game 3 at PNC Park in Pittsburgh.

With the help of a wide Jerry Layne strike zone, the left-handed Liriano carved his way through St. Louis’ batting order in the opening frame. Matt Carpenter struck out to open the game and Carlos Beltran and Matt Holliday were then retired on groundball outs.

Cardinals starter Joe Kelly also was the beneficiary of some odd called strikes in the bottom of the first inning but he issued a two-out walk to Andrew McCutchen anyway and then deflected a comebacker from Justin Morneau that Cardinals shortstop Pete Kozma threw beyond the reach of Matt Adams at first base. With runners on third and second, Marlon Byrd smacked a two-run single into left field.

It’s a 2-0 lead for the host Pirates after one and the crowd is rocking in the Steel City.

1. chill1184 - Oct 6, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Byrd is the word

2. yousuxxors - Oct 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Byrd made the mets watchable this year, I hope he continues this for the pirates! I’m on the bandwagon … hopeless franchises got to stick together.

3. spudchukar - Oct 6, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Yeah, Cards didn’t draw a particularly good draw in ump Layne. He has a wide zone, but doesn’t like to call knee-high pitches.

4. thomas844 - Oct 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Byrd = Cheater. Go ahead and hate on me for saying that, I’m just speaking the truth.

• pens5829 - Oct 6, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Cards fan?

• thomas844 - Oct 6, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Actually I’m not a Cardinals fan. I just think it’s unfair that A-Rod and Braun take all the heat for using PEDs because they were MVP-caliber players but guys like Peralta and Byrd are in the playoffs making contributions for their teams while seemingly getting a free pass from the general public.

• pens5829 - Oct 6, 2013 at 8:41 PM

He didn’t get a free pass. He stood up and took his punishment, a 50 game suspension last year, like a man. Very much unlike Braun and A-Fraud who have continually tried to skirt their suspensions and lie about their “non-usage”.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:14 AM

He’s a Reds fan.

• pens5829 - Oct 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM

And Mark McGwire wasn’t?

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Look…I am not going to defend Thomas. Because quite frankly…Byrd was suspended and it is over. But was Big Mac found to have cheated? Did he fail a drug screen?
        Seriously…did I miss something?

5. twenty1miles - Oct 6, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Yea, I’m not really a PED-user hater at all, but I find it fascinating how everyone has completely forgot about Byrd and his PED suspension.

• fearlessleader - Oct 6, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Yeah—I don’t hold it AGAINST the Pirates that they acquired him, but I do think it puts a bit of a kink in the narrative of the Pirates as everybody’s feel-good postseason darlings.

• pens5829 - Oct 6, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Not at all. As stated above. The man served his suspension. Non-issue.

Let’s Go Bucs!

• fearlessleader - Oct 6, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Pens, the Rangers and A’s have taken all sorts of crap in the media and the twitterverse about having cheaters on their postseason rosters, while the Pirates are supposed to be everyone’s all-American heroes. As I said, I don’t have any problem with the team taking on a PED user who has served his suspension, but surely you’ve noticed the double standard, no?

• pens5829 - Oct 6, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I have not heard of all the crap the Rangers and A’s are taking. As far as I’m concerned, if a man serves his suspension, then he should be tested often, which I’d hope MLB is doing, and be left alone if he stays clean. My issues are with the guys like Braun and A-Fraud who continually try to fight the system their union signed off on and try to make fans look stupid.

• fearlessleader - Oct 6, 2013 at 9:04 PM

On your last point we emphatically agree. Again: My issue isn’t with what’s happened with him on the field or in the front office, but with the way he’s been utterly spared the sort of scorn and scrutiny that any other 35-year-old former PED user having a fantastic autumn would be getting.

6. ppens1 - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:19 AM

The Cards should have had 1 Run period. The call at 3rd clearly showed the tag before he reached the base. With that said The best team still won. You didnt see the manager run out and get crazy you didnt see the team dwell on that call. What you saw was Pirates Baseball . Grind it out do it again. When cutch ot caught going to third on a bad decesion the team didnt dwell , They did it again. I look for the same kind of game tomorrow. Lets do it again . ike we have all year. Lets GO BUCS

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3655)