Oct 6, 2013, 6:44 PM EST
The Pirates put a bunch of runners on base in the bottom of the sixth inning and in doing so, chased Cardinals starter Joe Kelly. Andrew McCutchen led off the inning with a walk. Following a lazy fly out by Justin Morneau, Marlon Byrd continued his torrid hitting with a double to left, putting runners on second and third with one out. With Pedro Alvarez coming to the plate, Cardinals manager Mike Matheny ordered the intentional walk to load the bases before pulling Kelly for reliever Seth Maness.
Russell Martin swung at the first pitch he saw from Maness, a 91 MPH sinker, driving a high fly ball to center fielder Jon Jay. McCutchen scored easily, putting the Pirates up 3-2 with two outs in the sixth. Jose Tabata, pinch-hitting for Clint Barmes, grounded out to end the inning. As part of a double-switch, Jordy Mercer came in at shortstop in the nine-spot in the lineup.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 5
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 54
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 44
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 137
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)