Oct 7, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
Last week Houston moved pitching coach Doug Brocal into a different role in the organization and now Brian McTaggart of MLB.com reports that the Astros have hired Brent Strom as their new pitching coach.
Strom was previously the Royals’ pitching coach in 2000 and 2001, but most recently he’s been a minor league pitching instructor for the Cardinals … for whom Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow previously worked. Strom is 64 years old, whereas Brocail is 46.
And here’s an interesting tidbit: Strom was the second pitcher to ever undergo ulnar collateral elbow ligament replacement surgery. Tommy John, of course, was the first.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 65
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 145
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (146)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)