Oct 7, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
Last week Houston moved pitching coach Doug Brocal into a different role in the organization and now Brian McTaggart of MLB.com reports that the Astros have hired Brent Strom as their new pitching coach.
Strom was previously the Royals’ pitching coach in 2000 and 2001, but most recently he’s been a minor league pitching instructor for the Cardinals … for whom Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow previously worked. Strom is 64 years old, whereas Brocail is 46.
And here’s an interesting tidbit: Strom was the second pitcher to ever undergo ulnar collateral elbow ligament replacement surgery. Tommy John, of course, was the first.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)