Oct 7, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
How serious are the Cubs about luring manager Joe Girardi away from the Yankees? According to Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune they’re “willing to top whatever offer” he gets to stay in New York.
Gonzales speculates that will mean at least $5 million per season and generally speaking teams rarely win bidding wars with the Yankees, so Girardi (and his agent) must be thrilled right now.
Girardi is technically under contract until November 1 and the Yankees haven’t granted him permission to speak to teams before then, so this whole thing could take a while to play out.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)