Joe Torre does not want to be Commissioner

Oct 7, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT

Probably a good thing given that Bud Selig appears to have designated Rob Manfred as his chosen successor, but in case anyone gets any idea, no, Joe Torre does not want to be Commissioner of Baseball:

“If they had asked me to do something for the game, I certainly would listen, but I have no aspirations to be commissioner, based on my age. I’m very comfortable working there. I’ve got a significant job. I don’t have a great deal of stress, job-wise in my life and that feels good.’’

Not gonna happen, of course, and I don’t think Torre would be the best guy for the job anyway. But it is something that even asking that question is plausible. Torre was a player, a manager (and a player-manager) and a league executive. I can’t think of anyone — at least anyone recently — who can say they’ve filled up all of those squares on their bingo card. Bill White came closest, I suppose, but rather than managing he went via the broadcaster’s route before becoming N.L. President.

Joe Torre: renaissance man. Who knew?

source:

1. dlf9 - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Player, manager, and league executive and even player-manager basically of the same generation as Torre: Frank Robinson

2. El Bravo - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I nominate Dusty Baker and Ozzie Guillen for co-Commissioners.

3. mybrunoblog - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Omfg! Love That picture!

• historiophiliac - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Rowr!

• nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:51 PM

FWIW, other online sources indicate the total babe is Joe’s 2nd wife, Dani, and they are shaking it at a NY restaurant in April 1976.

4. chiadam - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I’ll be commissioner. Can I apply online, or do I walk in and get an application?

• kevinbnyc - Oct 7, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Just email Bud. He’ll send you one.

5. thesmedman - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Torre is not competent for that job anyhow. You need business and media experience.

still think there are some fine female executives who would make a fine commissioner.

6. spacemaker101 - Oct 7, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Apply online dude duh

7. timpaz - Oct 7, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Glad , Torre won’t be commish, need someone with a spine, not another puppet for owners.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Much as fans might like it otherwise, the commish works for the owners, and that would make it unlikely they will choose someone who will cause them problems of any sort.

8. DJ MC - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Joe Cronin.

Player — 1927-1945
    Manager — 1933-1947 (mostly as player/manager)
    AL President — 1959-1973

9. DJ MC - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Also, Bobby Brown.

Player — 1946-1954
    Team executive — 1980*-1984
    AL President — 1984-1994

*Wikipedia lists his tenure as VP of the Rangers as “the early 1980s”.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey