Oct 7, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
The Rays will live to see another day.
After Fernando Rodney blew a save in the top of the ninth inning, Jose Lobaton delivered a walkoff solo homer off Koji Uehara in the bottom of the ninth to give the Rays a thrilling 5-4 victory over the Red Sox in Game 3 of the ALDS. Joe Maddon’s squad continues to make a habit of winning with their backs up against the wall.
The Red Sox jumped out to an early 3-0 lead against Alex Cobb tonight, but the Rays evened things up when Evan Longoria launched a game-tying three-run blast off Clay Buchholz in the bottom of the fifth inning. They rallied for the go-ahead run on an RBI ground out from Delmon Young in the bottom of the eighth inning, but the Red Sox were able to tie it against Rodney in the ninth. Uehara, who has been virtually untouchable for months, began the bottom of the ninth with two quick outs, but Lobaton ended it with a long homer which landed in the fish tank in distant center field. Interestingly, Lobaton was batting in the pitcher’s spot after Maddon gave up the DH when Wil Myers left due to injury. The decision was questioned at the time, but Maddon comes out smelling like roses. By the way, Lobaton’s walkoff blast was the first homer allowed by Uehara since June 30.
With the Red Sox now holding a 2-1 advantage in the ALDS, the series will resume tomorrow night at Tropicana Field. Tampa Bay will send Jeremy Hellickson to the hill while Boston will go with Jake Peavy.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)