Oct 7, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
The Rays will live to see another day.
After Fernando Rodney blew a save in the top of the ninth inning, Jose Lobaton delivered a walkoff solo homer off Koji Uehara in the bottom of the ninth to give the Rays a thrilling 5-4 victory over the Red Sox in Game 3 of the ALDS. Joe Maddon’s squad continues to make a habit of winning with their backs up against the wall.
The Red Sox jumped out to an early 3-0 lead against Alex Cobb tonight, but the Rays evened things up when Evan Longoria launched a game-tying three-run blast off Clay Buchholz in the bottom of the fifth inning. They rallied for the go-ahead run on an RBI ground out from Delmon Young in the bottom of the eighth inning, but the Red Sox were able to tie it against Rodney in the ninth. Uehara, who has been virtually untouchable for months, began the bottom of the ninth with two quick outs, but Lobaton ended it with a long homer which landed in the fish tank in distant center field. Interestingly, Lobaton was batting in the pitcher’s spot after Maddon gave up the DH when Wil Myers left due to injury. The decision was questioned at the time, but Maddon comes out smelling like roses. By the way, Lobaton’s walkoff blast was the first homer allowed by Uehara since June 30.
With the Red Sox now holding a 2-1 advantage in the ALDS, the series will resume tomorrow night at Tropicana Field. Tampa Bay will send Jeremy Hellickson to the hill while Boston will go with Jake Peavy.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)