Oct 7, 2013, 8:26 PM EDT
Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury continues to be a pain in the neck for the Rays.
After Clay Buchholz worked out of a bases-loaded jam to keep the Rays off the board in the bottom of the fourth inning, Ellsbury led off the top of the fifth with a liner which deflected off James Loney‘s glove and bounced outside the first base bag. Ellsbury legged out a double on the play and eventually moved over to third base on an infield single from Shane Victorino. Yunel Escobar actually made an excellent play on the grounder and tried to throw out Ellsbury, who chose not to slide into third base. He was ruled safe, though replays showed that he may have been out. It ended up being a critical play in the inning, Ellsbury scored on a wild pitch after Alex Cobb was unable to handle a throw from Jose Molina. The Red Sox tacked on one more run on an opposite-field single from David Ortiz.
Ellsbury, an impending free agent, continues to have a heck of a series. He’s 7-for-12 with two doubles, two RBI, two stolen bases, and six runs scored.
The Red Sox lead this one 3-0 as we head to the bottom of the fifth inning. The Rays are running out of time to keep their season alive.
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 8
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 7
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)