Oct 7, 2013, 4:40 PM EST
The Tigers’ backs are up against the wall. They fell to the A’s 6-3 this afternoon, and now find themselves in a 2-1 hole in their best of five series vs. Oakland.
A team with a reputation for bashing the ball had to scratch and claw for runs the past two games and, with the exception of a three-run fourth inning, could never get on track again today. Those runs were their first in 20 innings, but that’s all they could get off Jarrod Parker and Detroit followed up that moderate outburst with five more goose eggs.
Meanwhile, the A.L. ERA leader, Anibal Sanchez, was touched for six runs — five earned — while allowing three home runs in four and a third. Brandon Moss, Seth Smith and Josh Reddick went deep for the A’s. Additional runs came on a Miguel Cabrera error in the third and a Coco Crisp sac fly in the fourth.
There will likely be some nervous Tigers fans suggesting that Max Scherzer get the call on short rest for tomorrow’s Game Four. But that seems like a pipe dream. Scherzer is not that kind of horse — he’s never even pitched a complete game — so it’ll be up to Doug Fister to save the Tigers season tomorrow.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 38
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 154
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (156)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)