Oct 7, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
The Tigers’ backs are up against the wall. They fell to the A’s 6-3 this afternoon, and now find themselves in a 2-1 hole in their best of five series vs. Oakland.
A team with a reputation for bashing the ball had to scratch and claw for runs the past two games and, with the exception of a three-run fourth inning, could never get on track again today. Those runs were their first in 20 innings, but that’s all they could get off Jarrod Parker and Detroit followed up that moderate outburst with five more goose eggs.
Meanwhile, the A.L. ERA leader, Anibal Sanchez, was touched for six runs — five earned — while allowing three home runs in four and a third. Brandon Moss, Seth Smith and Josh Reddick went deep for the A’s. Additional runs came on a Miguel Cabrera error in the third and a Coco Crisp sac fly in the fourth.
There will likely be some nervous Tigers fans suggesting that Max Scherzer get the call on short rest for tomorrow’s Game Four. But that seems like a pipe dream. Scherzer is not that kind of horse — he’s never even pitched a complete game — so it’ll be up to Doug Fister to save the Tigers season tomorrow.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 1
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 38
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 22
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 34
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (103)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)