Watch an A’s fan try to beat up cops and then get tased

Oct 7, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT

The only flaw in this video is that it was filmed vertically instead of horizontally. Otherwise: it has everything. A guy trying to fight cops, the cops fighting back, the crowd calling for him to be tased and then the police, quite advisably, it seems, tasing him at about the 1:20 mark.  Bonus: the guy near the end who starts naming the possible charges our intrepid fan might face upon booking.

And the end tag — “Now we’re in Oakland, folks!” is the icing on top.

Thanks to Deadspin for the heads up.

1. theageofquarrel - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I like how everybody stood back and got a great shot of him being tased.
    Never try to fight the cops,you will lose every time

• Michael - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:12 PM

And being an A’s crowd*, they hoot and holler for the fight and the tasing.

*-also applicable in Boston, New York, the upper decks in LA, and Philadelphia. Especially Philadelphia.

• pastabelly - Oct 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM

You just figured you throw that out there because you believe crowds at Fenway and Yankee Stadium are violent. Uninformed.

• clavette - Oct 7, 2013 at 4:36 PM

pretty sure fenway park is full of homers and pink hats. the real die hard sox fans stopped going to fenway when the price of seats skyrocketed between 2004-2007

going to fenway is the social thing to do..

• bigharold - Oct 7, 2013 at 5:39 PM

And not one “Don’t Taze me Bro!” from the crowd.

2. blacksables - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:14 AM

• jimeejohnson - Oct 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I fought the law
      and the law won.

3. bravojawja - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM

This is like something out of a Paul Verhoeven flick. Tase him! Tase him!

Would you like to know more?

4. DelawarePhilliesFan - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM

You can take the A’s outta Philly, but you can’t the Philly outta the A’s :)

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Oh – and another example of poor filming technique. Tilt the phone folks, vertical filming needs to stop!

• km9000 - Oct 7, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Vertical video is like taking vertical photos in a world where frames can only be displayed horizontally.

5. skeleteeth - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Shades of Epic Beard Man…

6. daveitsgood - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM

There are several things going on in this video that I find fascinating. The guy in the beginning of the video next to the jackwagon who’s fighting the cops. What is that guy doing? He looks like he’s throwing an epileptic fit and showing off a piece of paper in the cops faces and they have to keep shoving him out of the way. This is all happening literally behind the visitors bull pen and none of them poke their head out to see what’s going on. Either they’re well disciplined or used to stuff like that and know better to leave it alone. My brother in law is OPD and as soon as I saw this, I texted him to find out more about what happened and if it was the night he worked the game. To echo others, never fight the cops and tilt the phone folks.

• daveitsgood - Oct 7, 2013 at 12:40 PM

So I asked my BIL and the backstory here is that yes, alcohol was involved, but prior to this, his wife had already been kicked out for being belligerent and drunk and causing a scene. So needless to say, he was “edgy” due to the circumstances. Still, you’re an adult, handle yourself appropriately in public as I’m sure there were also kids around in that area and again, never fight the cops.

• daveitsgood - Oct 7, 2013 at 12:51 PM

on top of that, what lead to this whole altercation was that after his wife was ejected, he threw a bag of peanuts at an officer on the field and hit the officer right in the face with it.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Wait a second, his wife was ejected from the stadium and he stuck around? If that were me, I’d have asked the officers to put me in the hospital b/c the beating my wife would give me would be far worse than what those cops did.

7. jimeejohnson - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:59 AM

The A’s fan who leaned over and tried to help the cops should have come down on the back of the lunatics neck full force with his elbow or broken his nose with an upper cut. Would have saved the crazy mother f-cker from being tased!

• jlovenotjlo - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Being tased > Broken nose

8. jlovenotjlo - Oct 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I’m digging the five star frog splash from the top ropes by the 2nd Oakland security guard.

9. APBA Guy - Oct 7, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Middle aged white guy with glasses battling the cops in Oakland? And in the good seats, too. I couldn’t stop laughing.

Alcohol played a major part in this situation.

That was just a warm-up for his holding cell experience.

10. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Oct 7, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I blame books. (If the media can blame video games for everything, then I can blame books. Dirty, dirty books.)

• historiophiliac - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Readers are uppity!

11. hughhansen - Oct 7, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I hate vertical video as much as anyone, but here it might have been appropriate.

You’re trying to document an event in real time with the ability to zoom or change your position, and this guy got almost all the action in the frame.

If he shot it horizontally, he would’ve gotten more context (ancillary security personnel and fan reactions), but it would’ve been harder to keep the action in the frame.

12. jason9696 - Oct 7, 2013 at 12:40 PM

The female police officer had a nice ass.

13. anxovies - Oct 7, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Obviously a confused Raider fan who just got out on parole and showed up at the Stadium expecting to see a game with the Detroit Lions. Can you blame him for being a little testy?

14. chiadam - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Thank you for this video, Jesus. Amen.

15. dannythebisforbeast - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Love all the Philly references.

16. billybawl - Oct 7, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Ha! I was watching the raw feed from one of the TBS cameras on the MLB postseason video and they zoomed in on this fight for a little bit before abruptly panning back to the game. You know the camera operator is just as mesmerized by this as are the interweb nerds. Then the producer told him to knock it off.

17. amadorjon - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:16 PM

A’s Giants games in Oakland are always my favorite….the wife wont go anymore but the fights and beer throwing competitions are more fun to watch than the ball game…..

Orioles turn AL East on its head