Applying government shutdown logic to the baseball playoffs

Oct 8, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

Braves fan Paul Kaplan was quite upset that the Braves lost in the NLDS last night. So upset that he wrote his congressman about it.

I have to say, I never would have considered this, but if this logic applies in baseball, I may very well be willing to reassess how I feel about it when it comes to government.

source:

source:

(thanks to reader David L. for the heads up)

UPDATE: The Congressman responds!

1. Todd Smekens - Oct 9, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Reblogged this on Middletown Voice and commented:
    I like it…a baseball analogy which fits perfectly with the Tea Party logic. I especially like, “Just because the Dodgers had more hits, scored more runs, and won more games doesn’t make them right.”

• ps2os2 - Oct 9, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Remember all baseball players aren’t honest…
      HMmmmm maybe it is a Republican centric post after all.

2. donaldkehoty - Oct 9, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Stop the Dodgers’ tyrannical shutdown of MLB!
    Don’t let the Dodgers destroy baseball!

3. jfb122 - Oct 10, 2013 at 9:52 AM

To paraphrase a Pulp Fiction line: This analogy ain’t the same ballpark, ain’t the same league, ain’t even the same [expletive] sport. Sports games don’t mean [expletive].

• wilywascal - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Maybe you should watch the movie again! Samuel Jackson was the one making that assertion, but he then conceded the analogy to John Travolta (would you give ME a foot massage?), albeit he still thought the punishment didn’t fit the crime.

Another conservative wing-nut compounding the ignorance quotient. If the right-wing extortion ring wasn’t costing our economy some $10 billion a week, sabotaging our recovery, causing countless to suffer needlessly, and threatening to send the world economy into a tailspin, it might even be considered humorous. I think what really irks you is that this baseball analogy hits the nail right on the head, exposing the GOP shenanigans for exactly what they are.

I’d wager most conservatives know it is the Republicans who bear sole responsibility for this brinkmanship, and the faux partisan blinders are just yet one more example of them placing team before country.

4. cesilee - Oct 10, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Reblogged this on The Coulson Collection and commented:
    Baseball logic is so refreshing

5. garlicfriesandbaseball - Oct 11, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Reblogged this on Garlicfriesandbaseball's Blog and commented:
    GFBB Comment: Paul Kaplan’s letter posted here was entertaining, but be sure and read his Congressman’s response, linked at the end of the blog. Who knew Congressmen had time for this stuff? And more to the point, that they could do it with such charm and wit! Thank you Craig Calcaterra. Getting a chance to mix baseball and politics always makes my day!

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3452)