Oct 8, 2013, 12:11 AM EST
The Braves have relied on a cast of unlikely heroes to take the lead over the Dodgers in Game 4 of the NLDS this evening.
After Ronald Belisario took over for Clayton Kershaw in the seventh inning, he gave up a one-out triple to Elliot Johnson down the right field line. Yasiel Puig went into a slide to field the ball in the corner, possibly in an attempt to make a throw to second base, but the ball skipped past him and Johnson was able to scamper to third base. Pinch-hitter Jose Constanza, yes that Jose Constanza, then followed with a go-ahead RBI single to center to give the Braves the lead. Dodgers manager Don Mattingly then turned to J.P. Howell, who was able to wiggle out of a jam to keep the damage to the minimum, but the Braves lead it 3-2 going into the bottom of the seventh.
For all the concern about Freddy Garcia starting tonight, he turned in a very respectable outing, allowing two runs over six innings while striking out six batters. Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez will turn to his bullpen to hold the lead and keep the Braves’ season afloat.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)