Oct 8, 2013, 12:11 AM EDT
The Braves have relied on a cast of unlikely heroes to take the lead over the Dodgers in Game 4 of the NLDS this evening.
After Ronald Belisario took over for Clayton Kershaw in the seventh inning, he gave up a one-out triple to Elliot Johnson down the right field line. Yasiel Puig went into a slide to field the ball in the corner, possibly in an attempt to make a throw to second base, but the ball skipped past him and Johnson was able to scamper to third base. Pinch-hitter Jose Constanza, yes that Jose Constanza, then followed with a go-ahead RBI single to center to give the Braves the lead. Dodgers manager Don Mattingly then turned to J.P. Howell, who was able to wiggle out of a jam to keep the damage to the minimum, but the Braves lead it 3-2 going into the bottom of the seventh.
For all the concern about Freddy Garcia starting tonight, he turned in a very respectable outing, allowing two runs over six innings while striking out six batters. Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez will turn to his bullpen to hold the lead and keep the Braves’ season afloat.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)