Oct 8, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
Bronson Arroyo will be a free agent after spending the past eight seasons in Cincinnati and the 36-year-old right-hander told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com that he hasn’t had any extension talks with the Reds:
I’ve heard not a word. The sense I have, I don’t think they’ll make me a [qualifying] offer. They would have to offer me $13-14 million for me to stay anyway. I haven’t had one conversation with them. They could be taking care of other things or other issues. The sense I get is by not having any conversation with me, is they’re going in a different direction.
Arroyo has been a very solid mid-rotation starter into his mid-30s, posting a sub-4.00 ERA in four of the past five seasons and tossing at least 199 innings in nine consecutive years, but the Reds can save a ton of money by turning his rotation spot over to left-hander Tony Cingrani.
As pointed out in the above quote by Arroyo it’s possible that the Reds could make him a qualifying offer, in which case he could accept it and return on a one-year deal worth around $14 million. If he declined and signed elsewhere, the Reds would get draft pick compensation. But at age 36 and coming off a mediocre season it would probably make sense for Arroyo to just take the $14 million and Cincinnati is already strapped for cash.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 6
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)