Oct 8, 2013, 1:48 PM EST
Bronson Arroyo will be a free agent after spending the past eight seasons in Cincinnati and the 36-year-old right-hander told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com that he hasn’t had any extension talks with the Reds:
I’ve heard not a word. The sense I have, I don’t think they’ll make me a [qualifying] offer. They would have to offer me $13-14 million for me to stay anyway. I haven’t had one conversation with them. They could be taking care of other things or other issues. The sense I get is by not having any conversation with me, is they’re going in a different direction.
Arroyo has been a very solid mid-rotation starter into his mid-30s, posting a sub-4.00 ERA in four of the past five seasons and tossing at least 199 innings in nine consecutive years, but the Reds can save a ton of money by turning his rotation spot over to left-hander Tony Cingrani.
As pointed out in the above quote by Arroyo it’s possible that the Reds could make him a qualifying offer, in which case he could accept it and return on a one-year deal worth around $14 million. If he declined and signed elsewhere, the Reds would get draft pick compensation. But at age 36 and coming off a mediocre season it would probably make sense for Arroyo to just take the $14 million and Cincinnati is already strapped for cash.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 0
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 80
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 34
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)