Oct 8, 2013, 1:48 PM EST
Bronson Arroyo will be a free agent after spending the past eight seasons in Cincinnati and the 36-year-old right-hander told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com that he hasn’t had any extension talks with the Reds:
I’ve heard not a word. The sense I have, I don’t think they’ll make me a [qualifying] offer. They would have to offer me $13-14 million for me to stay anyway. I haven’t had one conversation with them. They could be taking care of other things or other issues. The sense I get is by not having any conversation with me, is they’re going in a different direction.
Arroyo has been a very solid mid-rotation starter into his mid-30s, posting a sub-4.00 ERA in four of the past five seasons and tossing at least 199 innings in nine consecutive years, but the Reds can save a ton of money by turning his rotation spot over to left-hander Tony Cingrani.
As pointed out in the above quote by Arroyo it’s possible that the Reds could make him a qualifying offer, in which case he could accept it and return on a one-year deal worth around $14 million. If he declined and signed elsewhere, the Reds would get draft pick compensation. But at age 36 and coming off a mediocre season it would probably make sense for Arroyo to just take the $14 million and Cincinnati is already strapped for cash.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 64
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 120
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)