Oct 8, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson kept his job despite a disappointing season, but general manager Kevin Towers dropped hints two weeks ago that the coaching staff might not be so lucky and sure enough Arizona has fired pitching coach Charles Nagy.
And according to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic there may be more coaching changes on the way, perhaps as soon as later this week.
Nagy spent three seasons on the job, during which time the Diamondbacks ranked 9th, 9th, and 10th in ERA among NL teams. Those numbers aren’t as bad as they look because Arizona plays in a very hitter-friendly ballpark, but after back-to-back 81-81 seasons management felt someone had to go.
UPDATE: Another firing announced, as the Diamondbacks said goodbye to first base coach Steve Sax. Piecoro reports that the rest of the coaching staff–including Matt Williams, Alan Trammell, Don Baylor, and Turner Ward–has been asked back.
Dec 17, 2014, 4:05 PM EST
If you don’t love Pedro Martinez there is no helping you.
Dec 17, 2014, 2:51 PM EST
Sticking together after seven seasons.
Dec 17, 2014, 2:31 PM EST
The pitcher denies there were issues. But now he’s off to Boston, so I guess it doesn’t matter.
Dec 17, 2014, 2:01 PM EST
Wil Myers’ replacement in Tampa Bay?
Dec 17, 2014, 12:53 PM EST
And if it blows up, it could impact the Jimmy Rollins trade too.
Dec 17, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
The Sox are getting themselves a handy reliever.
Dec 17, 2014, 12:12 PM EST
Seattle is looking for right-handed bats.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:53 AM EST
Right team, even if he picked the wrong position.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
They’re getting lots of calls on him, though.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
It appears as though it’ll only be a two-team trade, with Myers heading to San Diego.
Dec 17, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
Which could have some baseball implications
Dec 17, 2014, 9:46 AM EST
But he could start the home opener
No, it’s not crazy to pay a free agent for what you think he’ll do in the future. That’s the bleedin’ point.
Dec 17, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
A columnist takes a strange approach to criticizing the Brandon McCarthy contract. And his reasoning for doing so is pretty clear.
Dec 17, 2014, 8:40 AM EST
Seems like a bad idea. And that’s even if the field would even fit. Which it may not.
Dec 17, 2014, 6:56 AM EST
Tim Raines and Alan Trammell improved in the past year, apparently, returning to their 2012 quality. But some guys “just don’t look right.”
Dec 16, 2014, 11:30 PM EST
The Dodgers dumped Brian Wilson on Tuesday afternoon, choosing to eat the remaining $9.5 million on his contract. And the new front office is not done unloading expensive mistakes from the old regime.
Dec 16, 2014, 10:41 PM EST
With so many clubs seeking power this winter, Garrett Jones could fetch the Fish some legitimate talent.
Dec 16, 2014, 9:27 PM EST
C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that the Giants have agreed to terms on a minor league contract with relief pitcher Curtis Partch.
Dec 16, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
From MASN’s Roch Kubatko comes word that the Orioles have agreed to terms on a one-year free agent contract with reliever Wesley Wright.
Dec 16, 2014, 7:23 PM EST
Confirmation here from FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal …
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 40
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 106
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (107)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)