I’m guessing you wouldn’t wear a “New York Jews” or “San Francisco Chinamen” cap

Oct 8, 2013, 1:35 PM EST

While most commenters on my anti-Chief Wahoo posts forcefully assert that “no one cares” about racially offensive logos like the one used by the Indians, The National Congress of American Indians (and many other Native American individuals and groups) does.  To help raise awareness of how offensive Chief Wahoo is, the NCAI has created a poster to put the matter into pretty sharp relief:

source:

You’d never dare argue that either of the first two are cool. You only argue that the third one is because it’s been around a long time and, if you take issue with it, you feel like you’re losing something. That’s somewhat understandable, but I would hope you’d realize that you’d not lose anything worth a damn. Rather, you’d be losing something that is best lost to history.

But by all means, if you believe that the first two caps are totally cool, I’ll arrange to have one made and we can wear it around various neighborhoods of my choosing. We’ll see how you do.

(thanks to King Kaufman for the heads up)

254 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. cabrera24 - Oct 8, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Best logo in a baseball cap of all time hands down .

• hwy505 - Nov 1, 2013 at 5:11 PM

As a Jew from New York I find that first hat – AWESOME! And I would wear it through Borough Park even. You want to make fun of a people that has the greatest comedians ever that have based their schtick on self-deprecating humor, and think we’ll be insulted? Good luck!

• hwy505 - Nov 1, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Cabrera24 – that wasn’t meant to you was meant as a regular post. Sorry.

2. thegoat22 - Oct 8, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I wonder where I can get a copy of that awesome, awesome poster. I want to hang it in my basement next to my collection of Chief Wahoo hats.

3. stlouis1baseball - Oct 8, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Make it stop C.C.. Make! It! Stop!
    The 400 and some odd comments on the other article weren’t enough for you?
    It’s now bordering on narcissism. And it’s making my head hurt.

• jimeejohnson - Oct 8, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I agree with you my Conservative friend.

4. janessa31888 - Oct 8, 2013 at 5:25 PM

In my more foolish years I once wore Chief Wahoo earrings. I know, shame on me. I threw them away, though.
    Craig should send a letter to the Dolans and Shapiro. Maybe they will come to their senses and get rid of Chief Wahoo. I don’t know what else we the fans can do about it.

5. largebill - Oct 8, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Sure Craig, Find me a fan base that wants to be represented by those two hats. Vikings works because they had a proud fighting history. Indians works because they had a proud fighting history.

We no longer have hordes of vikings attacking European settlements and likewise we no longer have tribes of Indians (or native Americans, if that helps soothe your sensibilities) attacking army posts. Both the Vikings in football and Indians sports franchises celebrate fierce groups from the past. Norwegian people don’t care about Vikings making a caricature of their ancestors and American Indians shouldn’t care either. End the antiquated reservation system and let them assimilate to the 21st century.

Just calling a team the Jews or the Chinamen doesn’t quite match. However, if a team was named in honor of the Israeli military or the Mossad intelligence service then it might be a comparison. Or if a team were called the San Fran Samurai it would clearly be celebrating the warrior ethos of that segment of Chinese heritage. None of that will matter if the crafty Mossad’s or the stealthy Samurai can’t hit a curve ball.

• paperlions - Oct 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM

The vikings don’t have an offensive caricature as a log either. No one is taking offense at the name (though, of course, the name itself is riddled with ignorance), it the the offensive logo that is the problem.

• historiophiliac - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM

LMAO — the Scranton Mossads — what kind of mascot could you have for that that wouldn’t be offensive?

• davedewit - Oct 9, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Considering that the National Congress of American Indians created this poster, it would appear that Chief Wahoo isn’t seen as an image that represents a “proud fighting history” by the people who share that history.

• Coffee & A Review - Oct 9, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Apples and oranges. The “vikings” chose (as in of their own volition) to settle down and convert to Christianity, some of their descendents becoming powerful and influential landowners (Normans anyone?).

The “indians” were persecuted, murdered and driven off their land, subsequently being abandoned by society and by the U.S.

So you feel comfortable celebrating these people that our own government tried to eradicate? A caricature based upon stereotypes originally meant to demean these people doesn’t make you even a little uncomfortable?

This is a sports blog, but if you’re going to try and delve into history to make your point, at least give it some thought and try to get it right (someone has already corrected you on the samurai faux pas, so I won’t go into that).

• hwy505 - Nov 1, 2013 at 5:18 PM

“The “indians” were persecuted, murdered and driven off their land,” So you think that the American Indians are indigenous to North America? You do know they migrated from Asia across the land bridge some 11,000 years ago.

So if you are going to counter history, do it with all facts, not just the ones you want to use.

• seth1789110 - Oct 15, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Not to be “that guy” or anything, but Samurai are not Chinese at all, they’re Japanese.

But I see your point.

6. linhsiu - Oct 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM

FYI… “samurai” is Japanese… not Chinese…

So yes, Chinese would probably have a problem with one celebrating their warrior ethos by going with “San Fran Samurai”…

• largebill - Oct 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I was waiting for that response. Too sober to remember which nation gave us the samurai warriors. However, point remains if the team was the San Fran __________ fill in the blank with some Chinese warrior (and yes laundryman would offend some folks so don’t go with that one) from the past it wouldn’t bother most Americans of Chinese ancestry.

7. pgilbert2013 - Oct 8, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Thanks a lot… Just drove into the sidewalk…

I would love anyone of those hats in protest… I’m sure it will be a hit with the ladies as well.

8. jimeejohnson - Oct 8, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Yet they blame teachers for the dumbing down of society.

• jimeejohnson - Oct 9, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Heck: I didn’t say they were wrong. Just kidding.

9. mrwillie - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Here’s the page click and comment you were seeking. Consider your ego stroked, sleep well.

10. takemytalentstosoutheuclid - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I wear my Tribe cap and shirts to the Indian owned and operated casinos in Niagara Falls and Allegheny all the time, and I have never once been stared at, evicted, or otherwise treated poorly by any of the Native American employees, patrons, or management. So, am I to assume that, as long as I’m blowing money on the reservation, this is acceptable, but if a non- indian business is profiting from it, they take offense?

• jimeejohnson - Oct 9, 2013 at 6:03 PM

$ talks.

11. r8rnuck - Oct 8, 2013 at 10:14 PM

can we not save this #*$& for the offseason? maybe you’re bored Craig?? it hasn’t even been 24 hours

12. contraryguy - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Here in Columbus we have the Africentric high school. No kidding, it’s an alternative high school called Africentric. Their mascot name? The Nubians. But the football helmet only have a picture of the African continent on them and no caricatures, so I guess it’s ok that way. I’d reference their baseball caps but I don’t think that school has a baseball team.

• jimeejohnson - Oct 9, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Pretty sure Nubians stick to wrestling and sports with lots of close, extended physical contact.

13. agusgiecom - Oct 9, 2013 at 4:50 AM

Reblogged this on blog mazgie72.

14. largebill - Oct 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Realizing their name offends many Americans, the Washington Redskins have asked to henceforth be known as the Mid-Atlantic-Region Redskins.

• jimeejohnson - Oct 9, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Nice.

15. docwat - Oct 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM

So, how about the ‘Notre Dame Fighting Irish”? Just another step into the ludicrous, hey!

• Jason in KT - Oct 9, 2013 at 2:57 PM

“Look out Itchy, he’s Irish!”

16. lyle291 - Oct 9, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I think the first jewish hat is extremely cool, and if you aren’t too much of a pussy to stick to your word, I would gladly wear it around any jewish neighbourhood you want. My hat size is 7 1/4.

17. jimeejohnson - Oct 9, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Los Angeles Wetbacks.
    San Francisco Homosexuals.
    Oakland Blacks.
    Texas White Boys.

18. sabatimus - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM

If those other two hats actually existed, I guarantee strong sales, simply for the shock factor.

• 1historian - Oct 11, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Along with the Aaron Hernandez game shirts.

19. mackypinky - Oct 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Thanks for keeping the dialogue going, Craig. People do care.

20. xpensivewinos - Oct 12, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I’m Jewish. If that hat had Mort Goldman on it, I would wear it. :)

21. lawyermalloy - Oct 13, 2013 at 6:40 AM

If it were the “New York Jews” the stadium would be filled each night AND I for one Jew would NOT be offended!

22. huskersrock1 - Oct 13, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Probably not but I really need to get one of those fighting whities t-shirts from the Northern Colorado student team. They were trying to make a stupid political statement and they got REALLY popular.

23. anxovies - Oct 15, 2013 at 1:15 AM

The Native Americans who object to the use of their names and symbols by sports teams include what some of my Native American friends call, “professional Indians.” They are mostly Native American lawyers, social workers and some tribal leaders who play on guilt and rely on the help of non-Indian supporters, most of whom will support just about anything that is against the status quo. I was born and have lived in the Southwest all of my life and have had many dealings, both personally and professionally with Native Americans from the Navajo and Apache tribes and the Pueblos. I am not being condescending when I say that many of my friends are Native Americans, it’s the truth. These are everyday, down-to-earth people and every one of them who has expressed an opinion thinks that the furor over Native American names is silly and counterproductive as far as the image of the modern tribal member is concerned. This is a manufactured controversy that is being used for political purposes and to attract notoriety. Just my opinion but I believe that it is shared by the great majority of Native Americans in my area. Perhaps in other areas with an Indian population it is different.

24. wolfwithlightsaber - Oct 15, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I dont beleive using the word Jew is on the same level as Redskin to be completely correct. If you really wanted to make the point and use words equal to ChinaMen and Redskin, you wouldnt have used the word Jew. There are others equally derragatory monnikers media wouldnt accept you using, but perhaps it would make a more compelling argument.

apples to apples please….but good point, nonetheless.

• hwy505 - Nov 1, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Wrong – when someone refers to me as a Jew, and not Jewish, you may as well call me a like, because its the same in my book.

25. hwy505 - Nov 1, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4783)
  2. M. Kemp (3417)
  3. J. Upton (2458)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2414)
  5. J. Kang (2404)