I’m guessing you wouldn’t wear a “New York Jews” or “San Francisco Chinamen” cap

Oct 8, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT

While most commenters on my anti-Chief Wahoo posts forcefully assert that “no one cares” about racially offensive logos like the one used by the Indians, The National Congress of American Indians (and many other Native American individuals and groups) does.  To help raise awareness of how offensive Chief Wahoo is, the NCAI has created a poster to put the matter into pretty sharp relief:

source:

You’d never dare argue that either of the first two are cool. You only argue that the third one is because it’s been around a long time and, if you take issue with it, you feel like you’re losing something. That’s somewhat understandable, but I would hope you’d realize that you’d not lose anything worth a damn. Rather, you’d be losing something that is best lost to history.

But by all means, if you believe that the first two caps are totally cool, I’ll arrange to have one made and we can wear it around various neighborhoods of my choosing. We’ll see how you do.

(thanks to King Kaufman for the heads up)

254 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. elwaysagenius - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I’d wear one of those if I wore ballcaps.

• dcfan4life - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Clearly your not Jewish, Chinese or Native American…

• historiophiliac - Oct 8, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I’d kinda like to see one of these fools actually walking around New York or LA wearing such a hat to see what would happen. I’m guessing they wouldn’t find it so clever then.

• pinkfloydprism - Oct 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I would if some idiot was stupid enough to have a team named that, and I was a fan.

2. The Dangerous Mabry - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM

The chinamen is not the issue here, Craig.

• fakecasbah - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Rug pee-ers did not do this.

• kruegere - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Is that the preferred nomenclature?

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM

You’re out of your element.

• 2jivecrew - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I think the carpet pissers did this.

• mrwillie - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Nice marmot

• gothapotamus90210 - Oct 8, 2013 at 5:25 PM

For your information, the Supreme Court has roundly rejected prior restraint.

• clemente2 - Oct 8, 2013 at 8:50 PM

For your information, that only applies to action by the state, not private parties.

3. hojo20 - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I like the Jewish hat. That guy is cool-looking.

• dcfan4life - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Im gonna take a wild guess and say your not Jewish if you think a wide eyed, big nosed, devious looking figured Jew is cool looking…

4. km9000 - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Unfortunately, I don’t think they’re gonna get quite the reaction they’re hoping for…

• offseasonblues - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:06 PM

For example, I’d buy and wear a NH Wasps hat as long as the wasp had that big grin. And I’d be prepared for the WASP jokes too.

It’s the grin that makes Chief Wahoo somewhat defensible – as opposed to the Atlanta thing they do.

“Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves for they will never cease to be amused”.

5. Ben - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Can we take a minute to talk about how f*cking terrible the Braves chant is? I can’t watch Braves home playoff games with the sound on because that chant just too infuriating.

6. baseballici0us - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM

In other news, the NCAI has now made hundreds of thousands of dollars by selling said caps.

7. wheels579 - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Totally agree. Now what about Atlanta’s chop chant?

8. bravojawja - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I would totally buy the NY Jews cap. But I’d only wear it ironically. On Yom Kippur. At the Reconstructionist shul. Yeah.

9. westpalmlion - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM

What a disgrace of an article..you would think in October, that a “journalist” would focus on the play on the field, and not some fabricated story just to satisfy the trolls.

• historiophiliac - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM

But, it worked, because here you are.

• skids003 - Oct 8, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Well actually, I sometimes wonder if he has to write something like this at least once a week to fulfill contractual obligations to NBC.

• raysfan1 - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM

This is a blog. Blogs involve the writers making commentary on others’ reports or editorials or things they find interesting. They do not call themselves “journalists.” If you do not like either the format or the subject matter, don’t read them.

• indaburg - Oct 8, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I am always confounded at how many people do not know the difference between blogger and journalist.

• Craig Calcaterra - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I agree. Let me know when you find a journalist around here and I’ll tell him to get back to work.

• The Common Man - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Because in October, the world stops spinning except for the postseason, and also Craig is not a journalist. Thanks for playing Bullshit I Yell To Keep Me From Having To Confront My Own Issues!

10. mdpickles - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Would buy a Mississippi Rednecks hat..if, you know, they had an MLB team.

• NatsLady - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM

How about Mississippi MethHeads?

• jakeshuman2 - Oct 8, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Or Carolina Klansmen

• bravojawja - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:46 PM

For the record, there was a team called the Atlanta Crackers. And a Negro League team called the Atlanta Black Crackers.

• historiophiliac - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:47 PM

My grandpa played for them, and I still wouldn’t wear the t-shirt.

11. cohnjusack - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Jeez Craig, there’s nothing wrong with racism caricatures when w’re used to them.

Remember people defending this…your grandparents likely used the same arguments when Coon Chicken Inn was around

• historiophiliac - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM

You don’t even have to go back that far. This image is very popular around my part of the country still:

12. rickdobrydney - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Agreed Westpalmlion totally—– Craig has WAY too much time on his hands —-Really, he must spend 86% of his day tweeting, and dreaming up ridiculous stories like the above — Come on—-

• cohnjusack - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I know! It’s almost like he doesn’t even have a job!

Or a job which requires him to produce a large number of baseball related stores each day.

• historiophiliac - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM

And promote said posts through social media.

• Craig Calcaterra - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:01 PM

The funny part: that’s almost exactly my job description. Good thing I spend my time doing it, huh?

• historiophiliac - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM

So, can we get some context on that Sussman tweet?

13. manute - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:52 PM

What they’re missing is the fact that people who like Wahoo would also enjoy mocking Jews and Asians.

• chiadam - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:06 PM

high five!

• clemente2 - Oct 8, 2013 at 8:54 PM

As the comments show—including people who think they are superior to all this and so its all good, until that is they have their ass kicked for something about them, when it will be bad.

14. Todd Boss - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Why is “Indians” bad but calling a team “Blackhawks” or “Seminoles” ok?

Why is “Fighting Irish” ok but “Fighting Sioux” considered reprehensible by the NCAA?

Why stop at Redskins and Indians. Why not eliminate *any* name that is derived from people in general? All team mascots now have to be either members of the animal kingdom or inanimate objects. Then maybe we can stop the constant drivel about these stupid nicknames.

• raysfan1 - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I cannot address the Blackhawks part, but the Florida State University’s use of the Seminole name has been specifically approved by the Seminole tribe of Florida. The university sponsors Native American scholarships and has well regarded Native American anthropology and cultural studies. Meanwhile, the North Dakotan Lakota people do not approve the “Fighting Sioux” name at least in part because their tribal name isn’t even Sioux and they have asked the University of North Dakota to stop using it.

• eightyraw - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:56 PM

There is no Blackhawks tribe. The name is a tribute to a Sauk American Indian leader named Black Hawk.

Since you are stupid enough to make the ND Fighting Irish false equivalency, I shouldn’t expect you to spend 30 seconds looking up that information.

• jeffbbf - Oct 8, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Lighten up, Francis. The point was to compare treatment of nicknames that are based on Native Americans, be it Tribes, individuals, or general titles. BTW – “Indians” is not the name of a tribe, either. And noone claimed that the Blackhawks were a tribe.

And seriously – you can’t see the similarity between Fighting Irish and Fighting Sioux? While I won’t call you “stupid” as you did the original poster, I will say that you seem a bit narrow-minded.

• eightyraw - Oct 8, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Here are proper comparisons to the name Blackhawks: Naps, Browns, Bills

Ooooh both of those names include “Fighting” – let’s ignore all other context

15. chiadam - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I would be all over a New York Jews hat.

• rafihecht - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM

You and me both.

16. Stiller43 - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM

They should REALLY go back to the Spiders. It’s a way cooler name/mascot anyway.

• deepstblu - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM

A giant spider with the Chief Wahoo eyes and teeth. That’ll give the kids nightmares for weeks.

• jakeshuman2 - Oct 8, 2013 at 3:48 PM

So has the way the Indians have played the last few years before this one.

• adimo82 - Oct 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I say go back to Naps. Napoleon Lajoie was the man.

• bigbuffguy95 - Oct 12, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Hell no. Worst team in the history of baseball. I’m open to suggestions for a name change, but Spiders is easily the worst of the semi-feasible alternatives.

17. jm91rs - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I guess I see the point they are trying to make, but making racist caricatures of other races is not exactly the PC way to handle the issue.

18. sdelmonte - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Not sure how I would react to something called the “New York Jews,” minus the offensive cap. There have been teams and groups that are self-named with the intent of taking pride from it (see under: the Fighting Irish). I AM a New York Jew, and I do take great pride in that. But calling a pro sports team as such? It feels wrong, even if it’s not an offensive term. (Don’t get me started on why I hate Heeb.com.)

But the cap makes the point about such names in the wrong hands, doesn’t it? Though it really does beg the question about the leprechaun mascot for Notre Dame. I am sure there are those of Irish descent who would like to see that go away, too.

All of which to say is, I think I would be happy if the Indians and Braves got rid of the offensive logos, and the Tomahawk chop, and the names of the teams.

• richarddansky - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM

The difference being, of course, that the “Fighting Irish” nickname and logo was self-selected by a largely Irish-American institution, as opposed to being imposed from or selected by an outside group.

• blacksables - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:46 PM

South Dakota has nine Indian reservations, the most of any state. There are 17 high schools that use Indian names or terminology for their nicknames.

9 of those are located on Indian reservations, and 3 others are in metropolitan areas with a high percentage of Indian students.

I guess you think Indian schools on reservations with names such as Redmen and Sioux have had those names imposed upon themselves by themselves? Huh? Or are we still blaming Custer? Unless you agree those names were self-selected but aren’t offensive?

I just wonder why no is offended that an Indian school in the middle of the reservation would call themselves the Midgets?

• The Common Man - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM

If there were such a school, that would be offensive. I have no idea of that’s the case or not. And if a school that’s predominantly filled with Native American students wants to keep their tribal-affiliated mascots, I say that’s great.

And as soon as the Cleveland Indians are owned by and populated by Native Americans who adopt Chief Wahoo, I’m happy to support them if they want to keep it.

• blacksables - Oct 8, 2013 at 5:01 PM

There is a school with that nickname, as I stated there was. Unless you’re calling me a liar.

And as usual, you missed the point, or just chose to ignore it. I never said a word about mascots.

Also, Indians cannot claim something is racist if they commit the same offense. Also, all these people who keep claiming that Indians are offended by these names are completely wrong.

• historiophiliac - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I am repeating myself here, but the leprechaun is a trickster figure from Irish folklore. It is not a representation of all Irish people. It’s a specific figure, instead of a stereotype of a people. Hence, it is not offensive like old images of Irish people as apelike from the 19th century are. Most of the Irish I know enjoy the leprechaun mascot — but it doesn’t represent us as a group.

• indaburg - Oct 8, 2013 at 3:20 PM

You mean, all Irish men don’t have a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow? All my life, I’ve dated Irish men thinking there was a pot of gold. Dammit.

• historiophiliac - Oct 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Oh, honey. They all tell you that. It’s just to get you to sleep with them. Also, DON’T agree to read their tattoo!

• indaburg - Oct 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Uh, oh… Too late. :-)

Good luck today. T-30. I’ll be watching.

• historiophiliac - Oct 8, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I may be utterly depressed tomorrow…

• indaburg - Oct 8, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I completely understand. I seriously think I have a bleeding ulcer right now.

• historiophiliac - Oct 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Well, if I go radio silent, you will understand.

• indaburg - Oct 8, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Jhonny! (Stop trying to autocorrect me, iPad!)

• historiophiliac - Oct 8, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Fhuck yeah!

Good luck, carpets!

• historiophiliac - Oct 9, 2013 at 12:15 AM

What the plantain!

• indaburg - Oct 9, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Uuuuuuuggh…

• historiophiliac - Oct 9, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Why didn’t he put in Archer instead of Rodney anyway?

• indaburg - Oct 9, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Good question.

• historiophiliac - Oct 9, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Maybe he should’ve pulled a Leyland there.

Derp! :(

• historiophiliac - Oct 9, 2013 at 12:32 AM

/passes bottle

• indaburg - Oct 11, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Congrats! Now, please do something about the homeless situation in Boston. Thanks!

• historiophiliac - Oct 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM

/Caesar extends his hand, pauses, and lowers his thumb

To the Tigers!

• bigbuffguy95 - Oct 12, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Yeah, I don’t buy that. The name “Fighting Irish” implies that Irish people are, well, violent. I’m not particularly offended by it (and yes, I am Irish), but I also don’t see a real way to differentiate it from some of the other names (the Washington football team is an obvious exception). Hell, St. Patrick’s Day basically is a celebration by people (many of which are not Irish) celebrating the stereotype that Irish people drink a lot. Again, I’m not particularly offended by it (I don’t drink at all), but it’s definitely a stereotype.

• historiophiliac - Oct 12, 2013 at 11:44 AM

The mascot is different than the nickname. He is a crafty figure — the kind of thing you want for an opponent (trickster). But, there really wasn’t a popularly recognized name for Irish fighters and people referred to the students as the Irish anyway, so a better name was trickier. If we had a group like the Vikings or something, I imagine they would’ve gone with that. Instead, they put “fighting” in front of “Irish” (what everyone called them) and left it at that. I won’t deny that people don’t think Irish people are violent, but the leprechaun is definitely more about being crafty than brute strength. They did not use an image of brutish Irishman, you’ll note.

19. 127taringa - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Complete falacious reasoning. “Indians”, “Jews” are proper terms. “Chinamen” are not, it would be the Chinese. A bit of racism there. Are Jewish people actually a race?

If you were to mention those also left out are the New York “Yankees”, Notre Dame “Fighting Irish”, Hockey’s Montreal “Canadiens”, Vancouver “Canucks”, Rochester “Americans”, Tri-Cities “Americans” or any other team using the term “Saints”.

If it wasn’t for some of the native names on sports teams I probably wouldn’t have heard of any of them. I think most people associate these names in a positive light.

• cohnjusack - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I forget, when did mass religion/racial related killing/discrimination of Yankees, Canadians, Canucks and Americans occur?

• cur68 - Oct 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM

1812: that’s when you lot TRIED to exterminate us. But we foxed ya. Got our Native friends to help us out and counter-invaded y’all. Then burned y’shizzle. THAT’S why the term “Cacuck” isn’t racist or at all offensive. It means “Proud people who burned the White House down then went home for beerz and stuff”.

• cohnjusack - Oct 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I’ve often felt that Canada’s slogan should be:

Canada: An America that works

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM

True fact: many Native Americans have never even been to India. So really, “Indian” is a proper term only in that it is a European faux-pas that has been around for 400+ years and is now stuck in our cultural consciousness.

Kind of like, well, insert just about any racially charged term for African Americans that was acceptable 100 years ago, but we realize now has some hurtful negative connotations.

20. poprox13 - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM

more PC bullshit? ::facepalm::

• clemente2 - Oct 8, 2013 at 8:58 PM

“PC bullshit””—the strangled cry of the dimwitted, using righteous indignation to protect white male privilege.

• poprox13 - Oct 9, 2013 at 11:15 AM

no, just not being a whiny crybaby about everything

21. Jason @ IIATMS - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I don’t like the Jews hat only because, you know, teal and purple.

The Chinamen hat, on the other hand, is stylin’.

Best part, on Sunday, the NY Jews would be ordering from the Chinamen. Maybe they can swap hats during the delivery of the food.

/ducks

• historiophiliac - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Why do you hate Christmas? Why?

22. innout10 - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Terms like Indians, braves and redskins for professional teams are more a tribute to strength of American Indians rather than any kind of hate or racially based thoughts in my mind.

• The Common Man - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Your mind is a scary place.

23. rafihecht - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:08 PM

New York Jews? Where do I get one?

• jakeshuman2 - Oct 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM

In New York, of course.

24. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Why do they have to be the “New York” Jews? I think that is perpetuating a stereotype about my city.

For that matter, why doesn’t Somalia ever complain about the Pirates, Buccaneers or Raiders?

• cohnjusack - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Because a Pirate in a criminal profession, not an identity. That’s like calling a team the Boston “Robbers” or San Antonio “Racketerrers” Again, this comes up, and again, I love that people who claim the Indians logo isn’t racist equate Solmolians as identifying as pirates. Do we see a connection here?

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Sorry, forgot my hashtag #sarcasm on the post.

• historiophiliac - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Aren’t all Somalians pirates? No?

Also, the hubris that people in Africa give a shit about American football. LMAO.

• historiophiliac - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Apologies, sabathia.

• raysfan1 - Oct 8, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Africans may not care a whit about American football in general, but…
        While still on active duty, I deployed to Kenya as part the operations in Somalia. At the time one of things things I most looked forward to was escaping the then-ubiquitous OJ trial. Turned out it was even inescapable there.

25. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Cleveland. You’re fucking out.

• El Bravo - Oct 8, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Plus 1000

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3521)