Oct 8, 2013, 12:49 AM EST
The Dodgers are three outs away from finishing off the Braves. And they owe it to Juan Uribe.
While some wondered whether Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez would turn to Craig Kimbrel for a six-out save, he went with David Carpenter in the bottom of the eighth inning. The plan quickly backfired, as he gave up a leadoff double to Yasiel Puig. Dodgers manager Don Mattingly then called for Juan Uribe to bunt Puig over to third, but he fouled off the first two pitches before it was called off. It all worked out in the end, as Uribe eventually blasted a go-ahead two-run homer into the seats in left field. And that’s why you don’t bunt, folks.
The Dodgers will carry a 4-3 lead into the top of the ninth inning. Kenley Jansen will attempt to end the Braves’ season.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)