Oct 8, 2013, 12:49 AM EDT
The Dodgers are three outs away from finishing off the Braves. And they owe it to Juan Uribe.
While some wondered whether Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez would turn to Craig Kimbrel for a six-out save, he went with David Carpenter in the bottom of the eighth inning. The plan quickly backfired, as he gave up a leadoff double to Yasiel Puig. Dodgers manager Don Mattingly then called for Juan Uribe to bunt Puig over to third, but he fouled off the first two pitches before it was called off. It all worked out in the end, as Uribe eventually blasted a go-ahead two-run homer into the seats in left field. And that’s why you don’t bunt, folks.
The Dodgers will carry a 4-3 lead into the top of the ninth inning. Kenley Jansen will attempt to end the Braves’ season.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (158)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)