Oct 8, 2013, 5:35 PM EST
A week or so ago it was reported that the Mariners would make a qualifying offer to pending free agent Kendrys Morales. Jon Heyman reports today that Morales is likely to reject said offer when it comes:
Morales will turn down the qualifying offer, as he’d expect to hit it much bigger in a market flush with cash but bereft of power … The qualifying offer is expected to be about $13.8 million. MLB.com first reported the Mariners are likely to extend the offer.
I think it’s kind of nuts that the Mariners were going to extend a qualifying offer to Morales. But hey, if they want to keep him, sure. I think it’s a bit more nuts for Morales to reject it.
Yes, he has some power. But he’s basically a DH who is 30 years-old. Those are the sorts of guys who we tend to write “[Player X] still looking to latch on someplace” posts about in late January.
Morales lost untold millions when he broke his ankle and missed two years after a home run celebration. I feel like he’s going to cost himself more millions by putting himself out on the market rather than guaranteeing himself nearly $14 million this winter.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)