Oct 8, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
Matt Kemp has already been ruled out for the playoffs with an ankle injury and now Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Dodgers outfielder will undergo surgery to “clean up” his left shoulder.
Kemp is expected to have plenty of time to recover from both injuries before spring training, but obviously he’ll head into 2014 as a question mark after missing 89 games this season and posting a career-low .723 OPS when healthy enough to play.
Eric Stephen of True Blue LA notes that last month in discussing a potential shoulder surgery the Dodgers’ team doctor suggested the recovery timetable was 6-8 weeks, so it qualifies as something more than just a minor procedure.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)