The Braves wouldn’t catch Chipper Jones’ ceremonial first pitch because he didn’t pick them to win

Oct 8, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT

Chipper Jones first pitch

They’re still my team, but boy oh boy were the 2013 Braves a joyless and unfun bunch. On the heels of the “policeman of the unwritten rules” stuff last month comes this from the New York Post. Seems that the reason Chipper Jones ceremonial first pitch last week was thrown out to the Braves mascot rather than an active player is because no active player would do it.

Why? Because Chipper declined to be a blindless homer when asked to handicap the series:

Evidently, Braves players were not happy Jones had gone on the radio earlier in the day with the team’s flagship station, 680 The Fan, and predicted the Dodgers would win the NLDS in four games. So no player volunteered to catch the pitch.

Former manager Bobby Cox threw out the ceremonial Game 2 first pitch to Tim Hudson.

For a bunch that claims to adhere to the strictest professionalism in the game you look pretty unprofessional childishly shunning a franchise icon because, like just about everyone else on the planet, he recognized that the Dodgers were pretty good.

And I guess now Chipper will get no extra credit for being right either. Oh well.

1. goskinsvt - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Sheriff McCann doesn’t put up with that kind of nonsense.

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM

The new Crime Dog.

• raysfan1 - Oct 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM

McCann does not deserve to have the honor of assuming Fred McGriff’s nickname.

• uwsptke - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I’m surprised that McCann didn’t leap in front of the pitch to keep it from crossing the plate in “his house.”

• gatorprof - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM

He was too busy mentally preparing to strike out….AGAIN.

2. jarathen - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:34 AM

The Braves are by far the most unfun team in baseball right now. It’s not even close.

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:52 AM

They probably throw up every time they see any Red Sox players beard or Johnny Gomes kicking beers in a military helmet.

• bravojawja - Oct 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Everybody throws up at Red Sox beards. Brain Wilson’s, too. The only acceptable ridiculous beards in sports are NHL playoff beards.

3. DelawarePhilliesFan - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Meh, I can see both sides here. If a player created a stink and went public with there lack of particpiation, I would say that is overboard. But I can see how they would feel a little stung there own teamate from last frickin’ year doesn’t believe in them. So if they just quietly said “No thanks”, I can see that.

Still prolly woulda been better if someone just but the bullet and caught the ball from him

• itsacurse - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I am impressed you can see both sides cause I sure can’t. This is grade A petulance through and through.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I guess I just meant that it’s not as thoguh they went public with it, so maybe it is more hurt than revenge. Maybe I am being too kind though….

• skids003 - Oct 8, 2013 at 12:36 PM

The jerks that went “public” with it is the media, as usual.

• itsacurse - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

The real jerks are the people who honestly felt this bizarre and childish resentment – the Braves players. (*coughs* McCann! *cough*)

4. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Wow, how childlike and petty can you possibly be? “Oes noes, you hewrt my feewings! You big meenie! I’m taking my ball and going home!”

• jarathen - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM

If we’ve learned anything about the Atlanta Baseballing Club, it’s that they have pastry dough-thin skin.

• zzalapski - Oct 8, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Well, they *are* going home.

5. DelawarePhilliesFan - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Still prolly woulda been better if someone just bit the bullet and caught the ball from him

• knowlegeforyou - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Uggla should have volunteered. He had to feel their chances weren’t good with Elliot Johnson at 2B.

6. illegalblues - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM

really cool, braves. ugh completely embarrassing. team needs to start smoking weed or something.

7. richarddansky - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Why do you keep trolling Phillies fans like this?

8. bfunk1978 - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:40 AM

This is the kind of shit that Will Leitch cited in his post about the TBS studio show, how former players are reluctant to say what they believe to be true because they’re still friends and want to get along. The Braves just rewarded that kind of garbage behavior by punishing Larry.

“Most pregame and postgame shows play it safe, mostly because they’re staffed by former athletes who would rather remain friends with their former colleagues than enlighten or entertain the viewing audience. They say nothing by design. This is why most studio shows primarily consist of retired athletes pretending to laugh at each other’s jokes. There is nothing else they can do. Anything else they might say, they can’t.”

9. sc101071 - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I really wish you people would lay off the “unwritten rules” bs. (99% of commenters are Braves bashers who would glorify the acts if it was their team’s cather, and Craig’s one man mission to suck as much fun and emotion from the game as possible.) But, this makes me sad.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Your comment did not make me sad at all. The typo was very funny.

10. dondada10 - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM

It would’ve been great if the mascot unmasked himself to reveal that it was Tommy Lasorda. Then Chipper makes his heel turn final by putting a Dodgers cap on.

• historiophiliac - Oct 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I was going to say it would be hilarious if the Dodgers invited him to throw out a first pitch for them then.

11. chrisernst82 - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM

For real?

Im beginning to really dislike this bunch of crybabys, in just a few short months. So Chipper cant have an opinion without these bunch of sore sports getting they’re panties all wadded up. To me he still is the face of that franchise. These bums need to have a little respect for on of the greats, im sure anyone around my age still sees Chipper as he face of that franchise and they cant show a little respect. Show a little class.

12. jon3068 - Oct 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Ridiculous. Chipper has earned the right to speak his mind. That being said, which player on that team has enough tenure to go against everyone else? And during the playoffs? Only McCann does and he clearly didn’t.

13. historiophiliac - Oct 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I wouldn’t wanna catch Larry either.

14. skeleteeth - Oct 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Hey do they give a fuck about the shit Roger McDowell spews from time to time that’s actually hateful? Don’t see anyone refusing to take his advice. At least not on purpose…

15. voteforno6 - Oct 8, 2013 at 12:17 PM

This could have something to do with how they feel about Larry.

16. 18thstreet - Oct 8, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Allow me to suggest that the Yankees would be making a colossal mistake to pursue McCann in free agency. I normally scoff at the idea that X Player can’t handle playing in New York, but there is no way, based on what we’ve seen, that McCann can make it there. Probably true for Boston and Philadelphia, too.

• gatorprof - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:17 PM

McCann wants Molina type of $$$. He is crazy.

The difference was and is that Molina was actually getting better with age, not worse.

He is not durable, averaging 117 games / season for the past 3 seasons (Molina = 138). His offensive numbers are down.

17. Uncle Charlie - Oct 8, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Even the Braves players don’t like Chip-uh.

• jakeshuman2 - Oct 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM

They don’t seem to like anyone other than themselves.

18. eagles512 - Oct 8, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Pathetic

19. yahmule - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Reading this on the heels of their elimination is giving me a Schadenfreude overload.

20. NatsLady - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I bet there were players on the Nats who didn’t agree with Davey, who didn’t like him publicly showing up their shortcomings, who didn’t like some of his moves. But when the moment comes, you celebrate, you honor the greats in your profession. Period.

Manners, boys, good manners.

21. earpaniac - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:17 PM

While not a Braves fan, I loved their 90′s teams, and liked Bobby Cox. I know it’s not the popular way, but normally I’m a big tradition kind of guy. But in the last few weeks, I really have started to dislike these Braves. This is just getting ridiculous. I suppose I’d have less of a problem with it, if the Braves own team didn’t do the exact same things they get all pissy about other teams doing! I don’t watch every Braves’ game, but I’ve seen them do the exact same things. (i.e., the Uptons back-to-back against Marmol earlier this year) To me, a big part of being “old school” is acting like a man and not a 10 year old. Catch for Chipper. Glass houses, man. Glass houses.

22. mavajo - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Welp, looks like the Braves came up small in more ways than one in these playoffs.

Pretty pathetic, Bravos. This team needs a culture overhaul. They take themselves way too seriously. It’s no wonder they get so tight in big games.

23. cabrera24 - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Braves are so boring to watch anyway .
    Their stadium didn’t get a sold out crowd all year until game 1 of the NLDS.

• paperlions - Oct 8, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Game 1 wasn’t sold out. They were at 87.1% capacity.

Game 2 wasn’t sold out either, it was at 99.2% capacity.

24. largebill - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Small and petulant.

25. wayfarsouth - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM

The good news is that Larry was able to find a couple of Hooters waitresses to catch him after the game.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5380)