Oct 8, 2013, 4:34 PM EDT
Why wait until the offseason to sign dudes?
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) October 8, 2013
Sweeney hit .266/.324/.448 with six homers and 19 RBI in 212 plate appearances this season. The Cubs had signed him to a minor league deal and called him up on May 6.
He made $1.75M for the Red Sox in 2012, so now he’s basically back up to his old salary level, this time with some job security. Although maybe not location security: there was talk of trading Sweeney over the summer. If he has a decent start next year the Cubs could always shop him again.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)