Tigers force ALDS Game 5 with 8-6 victory over A’s

Oct 8, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT

tigers getty Getty Images

There will be a Game 5 in Oakland on Thursday.

Tigers starter Doug Fister yielded seven hits, a walk and three earned runs over a shaky six-inning outing and the Detroit offense appeared lifeless in the early frames, but a three-run fifth, a two-run seventh and a three-run eighth gave the American League Central champions an 8-6 comeback victory in Game 4 of the ALDS on Tuesday night at Comerica Park.

A’s starter Dan Straily sprinted out of the gate, throwing four no-hit frames to open the game. But the Tigers got back-to-back singles from Prince Fielder and Victor Martinez to lead off the bottom of the fifth inning and then Jhonny Peralta launched a three-run shot to left that tied the score at 3-3. Oakland fought back to take a 4-3 lead in the top of the seventh inning and staged a late rally on Tigers closer Joaquin Benoit in the top of the ninth inning, but it wasn’t enough against the suddenly-awoken Detroit bats.

V-Mart slugged a solo home run to right field in the bottom of the seventh that may or may not have been interfered with by a Tigers fan. Athletics right fielder Josh Reddick had a good beat on it and seemed to jump at the right time, but the baseball was snatched away a few feet above his outstretched glove. It was reviewed by the umpiring crew and the home run was upheld, presumably due to the inconclusive replay angles.

The Tigers added another run in the bottom of the seventh inning on an Austin Jackson RBI single and three insurance runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to put that controversial big fly on the backburner.

Detroit will roll with Justin Verlander in Game 5 at O.Co Coliseum because Max Scherzer was needed in relief in this wacky Game 4. Oakland can either go with Bartolo Colon or youngster Sonny Gray.

1. aceinthehole12 - Oct 8, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I’m absolutely disgusted with the A’s performance but mainly with Josh Reddick..no idea what that kid has been doing at the plate this year…I hope the Tigers vs Red Sox is good.

• jimeejohnson - Oct 8, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Reddick is the gold glove right fielder who has been getting some big hits. Give the Tigers the credit they deserve. Home field advantage could be the deciding factor in this series.

• aceinthehole12 - Oct 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Forget all that my man. A’s had this game/series in their hands and gave it to the Tigers. Great ball clubs win this game tonight regardless of who they’re playing. A’s are the better team..haven’t played like it at all.

2. nbjays - Oct 8, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Man ! What is it with these closers and their heart-attack inducing 9th innings? Last night it was Old Crooked Hat Rodney for the Floating Carpets, who had me thinking ‘Burgie must be drinking heavily.

Tonight it was Benoit for the Tiggers, and yes, as I watched him try valiantly to blow the save, I figured Historiophiliac was probably freaking out, drinking heavily, and throwing peanuts at everyone around her. Nice recovery by His Heterochromianess to snuff out the A’s threat in the 8th, but man, what a nail-biter of a game. Better hope Verlander brings his A game back to Oakland.

• historiophiliac - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM

I was, in fact, alternately passing out, pacing, yelling great obscenities and pumping my fist. The good news is that I can attest to the fact that my circulatory system works great. The bad news is I’m now 90 — and we have another game to go. Will it be V 1.0 or 2.0 on Thursday???? Ack!

• happytwinsfan - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM

90? Truth.

• nbjays - Oct 9, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Start drinking now…

• proudlycanadian - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:09 PM

An A game against the A’s would be awesome. Eh?

3. Francisco (FC) - Oct 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

To be fair to the Floating Carpets, that’s Sally natural state 75% of the time.

• historiophiliac - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:03 PM

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

4. historiophiliac - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Bet it’s a rematch. V v. Gray.

5. philliesblow - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Tigers in 5. I have confidence, and you know what confidence is, don’t you?

6. mikeinthevine - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I wonder if they had Peralta pee in a bottle after the game.

• dtownbeatdown - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM

At least we have bathrooms to piss in without having to worry about getting typhoid, cholera, hepatitis, or e-coli infection.

I heard the bathrooms in Oakland are overflowing with poo… (pun intended)

• COTorrey - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Leave it to Oakland to post lowbrow comments.

7. bender4700 - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Jhonny Perallta = Admitted his mistake (PED use in prior year)
    Ryan Braun = Deny Deny Deny Lie, Deny, Lie, Deny, FINALLY admit to “something”
    Nelson Cruz = Threaten to appeal… then cave and accept.
    Arod = Nuff said

Who do you think is the “bad” guy?Jhonny made a mistake, it will cost him. Lost his starting position and has been shifted to outfield for the sake of his bat.

Oakland fan DEFINITELY should say NOTHING about Jhonny, remember why Bartolo Colon was out last year????? (fans booed Jhonny but cheer Colon in Oakland, yeah, bunch of geniuses)

• clydeserra - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:33 PM

whut?

8. bender4700 - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:52 PM

To Oakland fan:

Give Max credit, that was an amazing top of the 8th inning. The A’s have done a superb job.

As a Tiger’s fan, I’m hoping for a 5th game win for the Tigers obviously, but should they lose, I’m 100% rooting for Oakland. I am only joshing ya about cheering Colon booing Johnny. Most Oakland fans know good baseball, because they have seen good baseball for many years. It’s really easy to cheer for these guys. Great baseball all around.

My first Major League game was in Oakland. Amazing time, I’ll never forget it. Cheers to the A’s, this is a heck of a fun series.

• clydeserra - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:34 PM

oh. ok

9. moogro - Oct 8, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Beat on it.

• historiophiliac - Oct 8, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Hey, get a room for that!

• bender4700 - Oct 8, 2013 at 10:44 PM

*CLAPPING*

That was great! hahahahahahahaha

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3926)