Oct 8, 2013, 6:43 PM EDT
Detroit’s bats have finally, desperately come alive.
After leadoff singles from Prince Fielder and Victor Martinez in the bottom of the fifth inning, shortstop-turned-outfielder Jhonny Peralta slugged a Dan Straily fastball over the left field fence at Comerica Park, tying this ALDS Game 4 at 3-3. A’s left fielder Yoenis Cespedes climbed high atop the wall and nearly made a play on the ball, but it sailed past.
Straily was working on a no-hitter through four before Fielder’s fifth-inning single. Tigers starter Doug Fister has struggled but is still in the game as the top of the sixth gets underway in downtown Detroit.
The Tigers are down 2-1 in the best-of-five ALDS and trying to stave off elimination.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 10
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 140
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (140)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)