Oct 8, 2013, 6:43 PM EST
Detroit’s bats have finally, desperately come alive.
After leadoff singles from Prince Fielder and Victor Martinez in the bottom of the fifth inning, shortstop-turned-outfielder Jhonny Peralta slugged a Dan Straily fastball over the left field fence at Comerica Park, tying this ALDS Game 4 at 3-3. A’s left fielder Yoenis Cespedes climbed high atop the wall and nearly made a play on the ball, but it sailed past.
Straily was working on a no-hitter through four before Fielder’s fifth-inning single. Tigers starter Doug Fister has struggled but is still in the game as the top of the sixth gets underway in downtown Detroit.
The Tigers are down 2-1 in the best-of-five ALDS and trying to stave off elimination.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)