Oct 8, 2013, 6:43 PM EDT
Detroit’s bats have finally, desperately come alive.
After leadoff singles from Prince Fielder and Victor Martinez in the bottom of the fifth inning, shortstop-turned-outfielder Jhonny Peralta slugged a Dan Straily fastball over the left field fence at Comerica Park, tying this ALDS Game 4 at 3-3. A’s left fielder Yoenis Cespedes climbed high atop the wall and nearly made a play on the ball, but it sailed past.
Straily was working on a no-hitter through four before Fielder’s fifth-inning single. Tigers starter Doug Fister has struggled but is still in the game as the top of the sixth gets underway in downtown Detroit.
The Tigers are down 2-1 in the best-of-five ALDS and trying to stave off elimination.
- Not so fast! Dodgers-Marlins trade for Mat Latos “could be falling apart” 52
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 48
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 42
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 52
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 65
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)