Oct 8, 2013, 9:34 PM EDT
“That home run right there, it couldn’t have come at a better time. It couldn’t have happened to a better guy.“
That was center fielder Austin Jackson commenting on Jhonny Peralta‘s huge three-run blast in Tuesday’s Game 4. The game-tying homer was his first in the six games since he returned from a 50-game PED suspension, and it played a big role in the Tigers’ 8-6 win.
Tigers fans were obviously in agreement with Peralta. Not only did they cheer wildly for the homer, which was to be expected, but they gave Peralta another huge hand as he took his position in left field the following inning.
They weren’t just cheering for the event, they were cheering for the cheater, too.
Which we’ve learned is pretty typical of fans. They talk big about steroid users until encountered with one playing for their team. Obviously, it’s true of some players as well.
It couldn’t have happened to a better guy? Really?
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 0
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 4
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)