Oct 8, 2013, 9:34 PM EST
“That home run right there, it couldn’t have come at a better time. It couldn’t have happened to a better guy.“
That was center fielder Austin Jackson commenting on Jhonny Peralta‘s huge three-run blast in Tuesday’s Game 4. The game-tying homer was his first in the six games since he returned from a 50-game PED suspension, and it played a big role in the Tigers’ 8-6 win.
Tigers fans were obviously in agreement with Peralta. Not only did they cheer wildly for the homer, which was to be expected, but they gave Peralta another huge hand as he took his position in left field the following inning.
They weren’t just cheering for the event, they were cheering for the cheater, too.
Which we’ve learned is pretty typical of fans. They talk big about steroid users until encountered with one playing for their team. Obviously, it’s true of some players as well.
It couldn’t have happened to a better guy? Really?
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 2
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 64
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 78
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)