Oct 9, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer has the news:
Just spoke to Hall of Famer Barry Larkin. He has not heard from the Reds about the manager opening. He would be interested if the club calls.
“I’d certainly talk to them,” he said.
Larkin managed Team Brazil during this year’s 2013 World Baseball Classic and acknowledged to the Enquirer on Wednesday that he “really enjoyed that.”
“I would like to manage a team with more talent someday,” continued Larkin, who spent all 19 of his major league seasons with the Reds. “I think I would enjoy that.” He is currently employed by ESPN.
Cincinnati fired Dusty Baker on Friday after a six-year run. Baker is already seeking another gig.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12