Barry Larkin on managing Reds: “I’d certainly talk to them”

Oct 9, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT

barry larkin getty Getty Images

John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer has the news:

Just spoke to Hall of Famer Barry Larkin. He has not heard from the Reds about the manager opening. He would be interested if the club calls.

“I’d certainly talk to them,” he said.

Larkin managed Team Brazil during this year’s 2013 World Baseball Classic and acknowledged to the Enquirer on Wednesday that he “really enjoyed that.”

“I would like to manage a team with more talent someday,” continued Larkin, who spent all 19 of his major league seasons with the Reds. “I think I would enjoy that.” He is currently employed by ESPN.

Cincinnati fired Dusty Baker on Friday after a six-year run. Baker is already seeking another gig.

1. jm91rs - Oct 9, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I love barry larkin, but I think the fact that he and Griffey once left the team a day before the season was over says a lot about his me first attitude. Hard to respect that

2. Arods Other Doctor - Oct 9, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Not too many really good players that make good managers. There are some, but not that many and the guys in that category tend to have a lot of managerial experience before they’re good at it, like Torre. Always liked Larkin as a player but I have a hard time believing he would be one of the best qualified candidates there are out there.

• chrisernst82 - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I’ll tell you a player that’s gonna make a great coach one day, Yadier Molina!

As a Cardinal fan as a kid I loved Ozzie and as a kid I still liked some Reds and Cubs I loved Larkin and Dunston! I was a SS and those were the days for NL central SS’s.

3. Carl Hancock - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:01 AM

As much as I love Yadier Molina and consider him the greatest catcher of our generation and someone who is effectively a coach on the field… And as much as I think good catchers have the mindset and skill set to be good managers… I don’t see Yadi as a manager. He doesn’t like the spotlight nor does he enjoy being away from his family. Hell, when was the last time he made it to the Cardinals Winter Warm Up? Every year he has an excuse but ultimately I’ve heard its because he simply doesn’t like events like that. He’s my favorite current Cardinal player but I don’t see him managing at the big league level. I see him retiring and spending the rest of his days with his family on a beach in Puerto Rico. At most he may be involved in managing or coaching for Team Puerto Rico. But once he’s done as a player I highly doubt he’d want the responsibilities and schedule that come with managing or coaching at the big league level. And this is coming from someone with massive respect for the man. Best catcher of our generation. Hands down.

4. jsetser - Oct 10, 2013 at 5:00 AM

Not only no but hell no!

5. coachbeck - Oct 10, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Lol all these candidates. It’s gonna be price

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2962)