Oct 9, 2013, 11:01 PM EST
The St. Louis Cardinals are headed to their eighth NLCS since 2000 and their ninth since 1996.
Adam Wainwright did his Adam Wainwright thing, allowing just one run in a nine-inning complete game effort as the Cardinals ousted the Pirates from the postseason with a 6-1 victory in NLDS Game 5 on Wednesday night at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.
The Cards got on the board quickly with a two-run home run in the bottom of the second inning from postseason legend David Freese and then added a run in the sixth and three more in the eighth. Pirates starter Gerrit Cole gave up that Freese blast in the second and didn’t make it beyond the fifth despite impressive stuff and a decent overall stat line.
Pittsburgh’s only run was scored in the top of the seventh inning after three straight infield singles. Pedro Alvarez was the one who drove it in, becoming the only player in major league history to tally an RBI in his first six career postseason games. The Pirates finished Game 5 with just one fewer hit than the Cardinals but Wainwright excels in high-leverage spots and did so again on Wednesday night in front of a sea of red.
Now the Cardinals have a date with the Dodgers in the best-of-seven Championship Series.
That series begins this Friday night in St. Louis. It should be another thriller.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 26
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 281
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (281)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)