Oct 9, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT
The St. Louis Cardinals are headed to their eighth NLCS since 2000 and their ninth since 1996.
Adam Wainwright did his Adam Wainwright thing, allowing just one run in a nine-inning complete game effort as the Cardinals ousted the Pirates from the postseason with a 6-1 victory in NLDS Game 5 on Wednesday night at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.
The Cards got on the board quickly with a two-run home run in the bottom of the second inning from postseason legend David Freese and then added a run in the sixth and three more in the eighth. Pirates starter Gerrit Cole gave up that Freese blast in the second and didn’t make it beyond the fifth despite impressive stuff and a decent overall stat line.
Pittsburgh’s only run was scored in the top of the seventh inning after three straight infield singles. Pedro Alvarez was the one who drove it in, becoming the only player in major league history to tally an RBI in his first six career postseason games. The Pirates finished Game 5 with just one fewer hit than the Cardinals but Wainwright excels in high-leverage spots and did so again on Wednesday night in front of a sea of red.
Now the Cardinals have a date with the Dodgers in the best-of-seven Championship Series.
That series begins this Friday night in St. Louis. It should be another thriller.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)