Oct 9, 2013, 8:43 PM EDT
Cardinals postseason legend David Freese has struck in this loser-heads-home NLDS Game 5.
What looked like a brewing pitcher’s duel suddenly turned into an early 2-0 lead for host St. Louis when Freese launched a two-run homer to left field with two outs in the bottom of the second inning, setting off a round of fireworks at Busch Stadium. Jon Jay drew a two-out walk in an eight-pitch at-bat off Pirates starter Gerrit Cole to set up the big two-run blast.
Freese — including this year’s results — is a .325/.391/.593 hitter in 35 postseason games.
Cardinals starter Adam Wainwright has held the Pirates to one hit in his first two frames.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 5
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 44
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 107
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (83)