Oct 9, 2013, 8:43 PM EDT
Cardinals postseason legend David Freese has struck in this loser-heads-home NLDS Game 5.
What looked like a brewing pitcher’s duel suddenly turned into an early 2-0 lead for host St. Louis when Freese launched a two-run homer to left field with two outs in the bottom of the second inning, setting off a round of fireworks at Busch Stadium. Jon Jay drew a two-out walk in an eight-pitch at-bat off Pirates starter Gerrit Cole to set up the big two-run blast.
Freese — including this year’s results — is a .325/.391/.593 hitter in 35 postseason games.
Cardinals starter Adam Wainwright has held the Pirates to one hit in his first two frames.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)