Oct 9, 2013, 8:43 PM EDT
Cardinals postseason legend David Freese has struck in this loser-heads-home NLDS Game 5.
What looked like a brewing pitcher’s duel suddenly turned into an early 2-0 lead for host St. Louis when Freese launched a two-run homer to left field with two outs in the bottom of the second inning, setting off a round of fireworks at Busch Stadium. Jon Jay drew a two-out walk in an eight-pitch at-bat off Pirates starter Gerrit Cole to set up the big two-run blast.
Freese — including this year’s results — is a .325/.391/.593 hitter in 35 postseason games.
Cardinals starter Adam Wainwright has held the Pirates to one hit in his first two frames.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (248)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)