Oct 9, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT
The Yankees are expected to get their payroll under $189 million for 2014. A decision borne of a desire to avoid the luxury tax, which could cost them some $100 million over the next two years.
Joel Sherman of the New York Post talks to Hal Steinbrenner about all of this. It’s a good interview, but I find the assumption Sherman has going into it — that Big George would never lower the payroll to avoid the luxury tax — to be something less than reasonable:
… no current issue brings out George-channeling psychics quite like the organizational plans to drop under the $189 million luxury tax threshold in 2014. No way The Boss would do that. He would do whatever was necessary to win a title — damn financial common sense.
I’m not so sure. George Steinbrenner was a lot of things, but a dumb businessman was not one of them. He turned a small investment — with a lot of other people’s money — into a franchise worth more than a billion dollars. During the years he was running the team actively he never had to face the severe luxury tax implications the Yankees face next year if they don’t get under $189 million. I don’t think it’s at all reasonable to say that George would act differently.
But we live in a world where everything is seen through George-colored glasses when it comes to the Yankees. So people will continue to say that, I suppose.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (109)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)