Oct 9, 2013, 11:03 AM EST
The Yankees are expected to get their payroll under $189 million for 2014. A decision borne of a desire to avoid the luxury tax, which could cost them some $100 million over the next two years.
Joel Sherman of the New York Post talks to Hal Steinbrenner about all of this. It’s a good interview, but I find the assumption Sherman has going into it — that Big George would never lower the payroll to avoid the luxury tax — to be something less than reasonable:
… no current issue brings out George-channeling psychics quite like the organizational plans to drop under the $189 million luxury tax threshold in 2014. No way The Boss would do that. He would do whatever was necessary to win a title — damn financial common sense.
I’m not so sure. George Steinbrenner was a lot of things, but a dumb businessman was not one of them. He turned a small investment — with a lot of other people’s money — into a franchise worth more than a billion dollars. During the years he was running the team actively he never had to face the severe luxury tax implications the Yankees face next year if they don’t get under $189 million. I don’t think it’s at all reasonable to say that George would act differently.
But we live in a world where everything is seen through George-colored glasses when it comes to the Yankees. So people will continue to say that, I suppose.
Nov 24, 2014, 7:10 PM EST
The Mariners are shopping Michael Saunders and the Rangers are one interested team thus far.
Nov 24, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
Pablo Sandoval felt disrespected by the Giants, so he chose to sign with the Red Sox.
Nov 24, 2014, 5:05 PM EST
“Hi, I’m Pablo,” and “Hi, I’m Hanley,” they’ll say. “Good to meet you.”
Nov 24, 2014, 4:48 PM EST
Nicasio was designated for assignment by the Rockies last week.
Nov 24, 2014, 4:16 PM EST
Lucas gets an invitation to spring training after hitting .255 with five homers and a .624 OPS in 163 games for the Marlins.
Nov 24, 2014, 3:48 PM EST
A huge day for the Red Sox starts out with a Panda.
Nov 24, 2014, 2:44 PM EST
Baltimore acquired Miller from Boston on July 31 and he pitched brilliantly down the stretch and into the playoffs.
Nov 24, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
Both will be 38 in the 2015 season.
Nov 24, 2014, 2:15 PM EST
No token votes for these guys.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:55 PM EST
The parts match up.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
Hanley Ramirez is a $20 million+ man.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:19 PM EST
He played 11 seasons in the majors for the Marlins, Twins, Nationals, A’s, and Royals.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
The Giants share is a record high.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:12 PM EST
Seager has emerged as one of MLB’s best all-around third basemen at age 27.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:50 AM EST
Presley has been the Orioles’ hitting coach since 2011.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:03 AM EST
Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson should be shoe-ins. But which newbies — and which holdovers — also have a shot?
Nov 24, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Allen was the Triple-A pitching coach for the Rays from 2007-2014.
Nov 24, 2014, 10:33 AM EST
I assume it will only be a matter of time.
Nov 24, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Perhaps not as weird as it may seem.
Nov 24, 2014, 9:37 AM EST
One person says so.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 129
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 244
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (257)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)