Jake Peavy finally a postseason success with Red Sox

Oct 9, 2013, 2:18 AM EDT

Jake Peavy AP

In truth, a four-game series was probably the best-case scenario for the Red Sox.

Sure, sweeps are great, but there’s nothing wrong with being tested a bit. And not only did the Red Sox pass their test with flying colors, but they got to use Jake Peavy in their Game 4 victory over the Rays rather than have him sit around for another week.

That delay certainly would have been a source of concern for Red Sox management. Peavy, the team’s big trade deadline acquisition, was more solid than stellar in 10 starts for Boston, going 4-1 with a 4.04 ERA. The team was 5-5 in his outings. He’d also taken ugly losses in his only two ever postseason starts with the Padres in 2005 and 2006. He gave up 13 runs and 19 hits over 9 2/3 innings, striking out just five, in a pair of NLDS defeats. Both came versus the Cardinals, and the Padres failed to advance both years.

Those playoff performances weren’t chief among Boston’s worries or the Red Sox never would have given up Jose Iglesias for him in the first place. But they couldn’t have wanted him to have to make his first start in the ALCS having gone three weeks without pitching in a game.

In Tuesday’s win, Peavy scattered six hits over 5 2/3 innings. He seemed well in control until Yunel Escobar ripped a line drive down the left-field line in the sixth that just missed going over the fence and turned into a double. Escobar came around to score on a one-out single, but Peavy got Wil Myers afterwards He still seemed to have quite a bit left in the tank at that point, but this being October and all, the Red Sox smartly went to the pen and brought in Craig Breslow to face James Loney. The relief corps combined for seven strikeouts in 3 1/3 scoreless innings the rest of the way.

Because the Red Sox failed to score until the seventh, Peavy didn’t get a win for his trouble. That hardly matters now, though. After 12 seasons, the former Cy Young Award winner is going to an LCS for the first time.

1. peterjohnjoseph - Oct 9, 2013 at 2:33 AM

I love watching this guy bond with the team and enjoy part of being here. I think it gave him a second wind as a player, and you can see it in his pitching. His best games with the Sox were his first with, and tonight; two outings where all eyes were on him, and adrenaline was high. I honestly want this guy to succeed. I’m glad he has the stage to do it on, and that not only is he having fun doing it, but he’s doing it with his new friends, and most off all, in a place where he’s wanted. That has got to be the dream for any baseball player.

• mwalsh5 - Oct 9, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Well said and my feelings exactly. Always liked Peavy and hopefully a long term sox in my mind. Go sox.

• pastabelly - Oct 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I find Peavy pretty similar to Lackey and have no problem seeing both stay in the rotation with Buchholz and Lester for the next 2-3 years.

2. Jack Marshall - Oct 9, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Am I the only one who found the chest-thumping, demonstrative preening of Rays journeyman David DeJesus over one lousy RBI single in the 6th inning a bit much?

• ltzep75 - Oct 9, 2013 at 11:14 AM

It was completely inappropriate, but then I realized, nobody f*cks with DeJesus.

• soxfan1966 - Oct 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Honestly, as a Sox fan I personally didn’t have a problem with it. This was a tense and hard-fought game. The final score demonstrates how each team had to scratch in order to get on the board, and indeed the first run didn’t come until the 6th. I think that DeJesus was just fired up over finally breaking the scoreless tie in a grinding game.

Just my opinion …

3. jarathen - Oct 9, 2013 at 9:54 AM

It’s always better to scatter hits. Good job, pitcher!

4. cabrera24 - Oct 9, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Is peavy the only starter in the league that chews tobacco while he’s on the mound ?

5. earpaniac - Oct 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I liked Peacy while he was with the White Sox. He wasn’t healthy much, but that wasn’t really his fault. I hope he does well, w/o Boston succeeding. I’m not even sure that’s possible, but oh well.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4003)