Oct 9, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
After saying that he, personally, wanted to throw baseballs at Dodgers players as they sat in their dugout and after saying that he was angry that there was no “retaliation” for Diamondbacks players being hit by pitches and that he wanted to see some of it, Kevin Towers has “clarified” his comments:
“I’m not saying hit players on purpose,” Towers said. “I’m saying if our hitters are being made uncomfortable at the plate, we need to be the same way; we need to make the opposing hitters uncomfortable at the plate and pitch in with purpose and take that inner third away. I’m talking about pitching inside effectively with purpose. Sometimes they’re not always strikes, but you pitch in to a hitter to be able to get the slider down and away.
Yeah, a guy who cited “eye for an eye” justice in reference to hit batsmen — someone who said “somebody’s goin’ down” — was really saying “pitch to the inner third.” We just misconstrued him. I’m sure there is no element of walking back insane comments after people correctly called them insane. And after he probably got a text message from team ownership or the league office or something. Much the way Brian Sabean did a couple of years ago when he made veiled threats to Marlins player Scott Cousins.
In other news: who knew a guy Towers’ age could moonwalk?
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)