Oct 9, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
After saying that he, personally, wanted to throw baseballs at Dodgers players as they sat in their dugout and after saying that he was angry that there was no “retaliation” for Diamondbacks players being hit by pitches and that he wanted to see some of it, Kevin Towers has “clarified” his comments:
“I’m not saying hit players on purpose,” Towers said. “I’m saying if our hitters are being made uncomfortable at the plate, we need to be the same way; we need to make the opposing hitters uncomfortable at the plate and pitch in with purpose and take that inner third away. I’m talking about pitching inside effectively with purpose. Sometimes they’re not always strikes, but you pitch in to a hitter to be able to get the slider down and away.
Yeah, a guy who cited “eye for an eye” justice in reference to hit batsmen — someone who said “somebody’s goin’ down” — was really saying “pitch to the inner third.” We just misconstrued him. I’m sure there is no element of walking back insane comments after people correctly called them insane. And after he probably got a text message from team ownership or the league office or something. Much the way Brian Sabean did a couple of years ago when he made veiled threats to Marlins player Scott Cousins.
In other news: who knew a guy Towers’ age could moonwalk?
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 18
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 63
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)