Oct 9, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
After saying that he, personally, wanted to throw baseballs at Dodgers players as they sat in their dugout and after saying that he was angry that there was no “retaliation” for Diamondbacks players being hit by pitches and that he wanted to see some of it, Kevin Towers has “clarified” his comments:
“I’m not saying hit players on purpose,” Towers said. “I’m saying if our hitters are being made uncomfortable at the plate, we need to be the same way; we need to make the opposing hitters uncomfortable at the plate and pitch in with purpose and take that inner third away. I’m talking about pitching inside effectively with purpose. Sometimes they’re not always strikes, but you pitch in to a hitter to be able to get the slider down and away.
Yeah, a guy who cited “eye for an eye” justice in reference to hit batsmen — someone who said “somebody’s goin’ down” — was really saying “pitch to the inner third.” We just misconstrued him. I’m sure there is no element of walking back insane comments after people correctly called them insane. And after he probably got a text message from team ownership or the league office or something. Much the way Brian Sabean did a couple of years ago when he made veiled threats to Marlins player Scott Cousins.
In other news: who knew a guy Towers’ age could moonwalk?
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 30
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 78
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 128
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 22
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (129)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)