Oct 9, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
As expected, The Los Angeles Angels announced yesterday that Mike Scioscia and GM Jerry Dipoto will be back next year. Not everyone will be, however: the team has relieved bench coach Rob Picciolo and hitting coach Jim Eppard of their duties.
On the one hand: kind of surprising given what we’ve heard about tension between Scioscia and Dipoto and given how poor the results have been. On the other hand (a) owner Arte Moreno loves Scioscia; and (b) Moreno, by all accounts, spearheaded the moves to sign Josh Hamilton and Albert Pujols, so perhaps he realizes that Dipoto is not a reasonable fall guy for the lack of success.
But there are two fall guys here in Picciolo and Eppard. Unless Kevin Towers has some insight into their alleged shortcomings like he did on Charles Nagy, we’ll likely never know why they fell. As is customary with coach dismissals.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (161)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)