Oct 9, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
As expected, The Los Angeles Angels announced yesterday that Mike Scioscia and GM Jerry Dipoto will be back next year. Not everyone will be, however: the team has relieved bench coach Rob Picciolo and hitting coach Jim Eppard of their duties.
On the one hand: kind of surprising given what we’ve heard about tension between Scioscia and Dipoto and given how poor the results have been. On the other hand (a) owner Arte Moreno loves Scioscia; and (b) Moreno, by all accounts, spearheaded the moves to sign Josh Hamilton and Albert Pujols, so perhaps he realizes that Dipoto is not a reasonable fall guy for the lack of success.
But there are two fall guys here in Picciolo and Eppard. Unless Kevin Towers has some insight into their alleged shortcomings like he did on Charles Nagy, we’ll likely never know why they fell. As is customary with coach dismissals.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 15
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 14
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)