Oct 9, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
Colon took the loss in Game 1 of the ALDS after giving up three runs in six innings, but it was hardly a bad outing. All three runs came in the first, and his defense didn’t help him out much in the frame.
Of course, Gray was terrific in Game 2, striking out nine over eight scoreless innings in what was just his 11th big-league start.
It doesn’t seem like it should be all that tough of a call for the A’s. As brilliant as Gray was, he’s not overpowering and the Tigers could well have better success dealing with his curve while seeing him for the second time in five days. Colon has been a rock all year and was especially good in September, going 4-1 with a 1.16 ERA and a 33/4 K/BB ratio in 31 innings. Besides, it’d be easier to go to Gray in relief if Colon gets into trouble than the other way around.
The announcement on the starter apparently won’t come down until tomorrow. The A’s held a conference call with reporters today, but didn’t disclose their choice.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)