Oct 9, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Last week Cal Ripken Jr. made it pretty clear that he’s interested in becoming a manager, which led to some speculation in Chicago about his candidacy for the Cubs job, and now the Hall of Famer is being linked to the Nationals opening. Well, sort of.
Nationals outfielder Jayson Werth has said he’d support Ripken as the replacement for Davey Johnson, so Rich Eisen asked Ripken about that on his podcast and Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post has the details:
I have said that at some point I’d like to come back to baseball. And most recently, I said that I’m starting to get an itch to do that. But I’d have to look hard at any opportunity, and so far, I haven’t been asked to do anything. So it’s very flattering that people think of me that way, and I have thought about how cool it would be to manage.
And even Donny Mattingly got me thinking about this a little bit more. He said there’s nothing like being a player, and coaching is pretty good because you help other people do what it is that they do. But managing is the closest thing to being a player. And I’ve always thought that, anyway, internally. Now I’m starting to think about that a little bit more. So far I’ve got nothing new to report, but that’s been the consistency, that I’ve made those statements. And I am getting a feeling that maybe I’d like to get back in.
I speculated last week that Ripken’s total lack of experience coaching or managing would keep teams from considering him a legitimate candidate and based on his quote it sounds like that’s the case, although it obviously only takes one phone call for that to change.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 13
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)