Red Sox advance to ALCS with 3-1 defeat of Rays

Oct 9, 2013, 12:30 AM EDT

ellsbury Getty Images

Boston will play for the American League pennant.

Jake Peavy yielded just one run over 5 2/3 innings and the Red Sox offense managed a couple of key hits to dismiss the Rays from the 2013 postseason mix with a 3-1 defeat in Game 4 of the ALDS on Tuesday night at Tampa Bay’s Tropicana Field.

Peavy had a 12.10 career postseason ERA entering his Game 4 start and had the look of a man wanting redemption. He walked none, struck out three and surrendered only five hits before being lifted in the bottom of the sixth. The veteran righty was outwardly confused and frustrated by that early hook — he had thrown only 74 pitches — but lefty Craig Breslow entered the game and fanned the first four batters he faced in dominant fashion. Red Sox relievers Junichi Tazawa and Koji Uehara were also excellent in the eighth and ninth innings to preserve Boston’s big win.

The Red Sox drove Rays starter Jeremy Hellickson from the game in the second inning after loading the bases with no outs but came away with no runs. It wasn’t until the seventh inning — on a Joel Peralta wild pitch — that the Sox finally scored. A second run in that seventh frame on a Shane Victorino infield single pushed the American League East champions ahead of the AL Wild Card-winning Rays for good.

Dustin Pedroia added some insurance when he drove in Xander Bogaerts on a sac fly in the ninth.

The Red Sox get to play spectator for Thursday’s decisive Game 5 between the Tigers and Athletics in Oakland. The winner of that Tigers vs. A’s game will face Boston in the ALCS for a trip to the World Series.

1. sabatimus - Oct 9, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Bye bye Raypists!

• historiophiliac - Oct 9, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Oh, snap. That’s so wrong, but it’s too funny.

(Sorry, burgie.)

• sabatimus - Oct 9, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Josh Lueke, anyone?

2. 18thstreet - Oct 9, 2013 at 12:41 AM

If you had told me, six months ago, that the Red Sox were going to play in the ALCS, I would have said, “Who are you? And how did you get this number?”

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 9, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I was thinking the same thing, and then thought about what the Vegas line was at the beginning of the year. I am beginning to think I should just put 100 dollars spread out over Boston teams and see if anything sticks.

• 18thstreet - Oct 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM

If someone had said to me that they’d be great even though the most vital pieces of the bullpen didn’t work out, I would have thought that person was crazy.

My best case scenario had the offense being very good (as it always seems to be), required Lester and Buchholz pitching 70 All-Star level starts, and the bullpen (which looked to be terrific, though you can never count on relievers) playing a huge role. And I thought if everything broke the right way, they’d win 85 games and play in the Wild Card game. I NEVER thought Lackey would be a useful pitcher ever again. I NEVER though Iglesias would hit. I NEVER thought Salty would hit like this. I NEVER thought Daniel Nava would be more than a 5th outfielder, shuttling back and forth from AAA until a guy like Bradley was ready to take his place. I NEVER thought Victorino would be more than a high priced regrettable role player with a dirty helmet and not much else.

I can’t believe what I just saw.

3. titansbro - Oct 9, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Could they actually win another WS?

• nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 9, 2013 at 3:49 AM

Would anyone ever have imagined 10 years ago someone saying, “It would sure be nice to see someone win besides the Red Sox”? LOL.

4. aceshigh11 - Oct 9, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Huzzah!

Kudos to the Rays for a great season and a hard-fought ALDS. Now on to the ALCS…

• midjerseyfatcat - Oct 14, 2013 at 1:45 PM

The Rays play some great fundamental baseball. In fact they are among the best at it with a payroll of only 56 mil. The Rays are a very solid team that seems to produce a very good product out of the minors and ready for the majors unlike other pro teams.

5. ienjoysensi - Oct 9, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Aces .Still remember you giving up on the sox before the series started .Your exact words ” were toast ” . You couldn’t have been further off . With that said . Thank god we no longer have to watch the rays shoot a fake arrow in the air after every play. Xander Bogaerts was huge . Bearded!!!!

6. cabrera24 - Oct 9, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Before the season began I pick nats , dodgers and reds to win their division .
    With the giants and phillies being the two NL wild card teams .

In the AL ; I picked tigers , blue jays , angels to win their division with Red Sox and royals being the two Wild Card teams .

Other predictions I made :
    1. Jared Weaver Cy young
    2 Edwin Encarnacion AL MVP
    1 . Cole Hamels Cy young
    2. Joey votto NL MVP

Dodgers beating the phillies in the NLCS
    Angels beating Blue jays in the ALCS .

Dodgers beating Angels 4-1 in the WS.
    My predictions weren’t even close smh

• nbjays - Oct 9, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Well, in all fairness, you did get the Dodgers and Tigers right, so two out of a crapload ain’t bad :-)

7. drewzducks - Oct 9, 2013 at 1:23 AM

8. nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 9, 2013 at 3:52 AM

The horrible thing, and I know I speak for us all, is not getting to see any more games this year from the most beautiful ballpark in America. Admit it: you wish your team’s stadium had ceiling rings. :-)

9. theskinsman - Oct 9, 2013 at 6:33 AM

The Rays were a tough test….and the Red Sox passed! Now, may there be a 30 inning game 5 for Oak/Det.

10. 8man - Oct 9, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Can someone explain to me how a game with only 12 total hits and 4 runs can take almost four hours to play? And Peavy had a pretty good pace.

What are these guys doing out there?

Go Sawx!

• stoankold - Oct 9, 2013 at 3:05 PM

The Rays used 9 (!!) pitchers. That’s a lot of pitching change time. I knew it was going to be a marathon when I turned it on in the 3rd inning and the Rays were bringing in their 3rd pitcher already.

11. nbjays - Oct 9, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Congrats to the Floating Shark-head Carpets on a great run.

Now I’m not sure who to cheer for in the AL.

The A’s have had a great couple of years, despite playing in a cesspool (literally).

The Tigers sort of underachieved their way into the postseason and may just underachieve their way into the ALCS.

The Red Sox and their Duck Dynasty-wannabe look are starting to annoy the hell out of me. Since when did the NHL-playoff meets Rasputin look become the new cool in baseball?

Oh, what the hell… go Tigers.

I’m ultimately cheering for the Dodgers or Pirates anyway. And this from an AL fan. If Chipper can be honest and say his team shouldn’t win, I can do the same with my league.

• historiophiliac - Oct 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Hey!

12. Francisco (FC) - Oct 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I’m guessing he was peeved.

13. pmkoul - Oct 9, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Well I guess shipping off a few players to the Dodgers and getting a new manager paid off.

14. bornintoitiniowa - Oct 9, 2013 at 1:24 PM

This Red Sox team is reminiscent of the 2004 “Idiots,” and that’s a good thing. This team plays like a team, not individual superstars like some past Red Sox teams.

Three legends off to Cooperstown