Oct 10, 2013, 4:43 PM EDT
Lineups for Game 5 in Oakland …
Tigers manager Jim Leyland has made a big change, benching slick-fielding rookie shortstop Jose Iglesias and shifting Jhonny Peralta back to shortstop after playing him out of position in left field with some ugly results. Don Kelly steps into the lineup for Iglesias, which is the latest in a long line of Leyland putting an awful lot of faith in the 34-year-old career .229 hitter. Leyland loves Kelly and has essentially chosen him over Iglesias while upgrading the outfield defense and downgrading the infield defense.
SP Sonny Gray
A’s manager Bob Melvin has also made some changes, led by benching Eric Sogard and starting Alberto Callaspo at second base. Melvin had previous said he wanted Sogard’s glove in the game and valued the impact Callaspo’s bat could make off the bench as a pinch-hitter, but apparently that changed. Yoenis Cespedes also moves into the cleanup spot, with Brandon Moss sliding down in the lineup.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)