Oct 10, 2013, 4:43 PM EST
Lineups for Game 5 in Oakland …
Tigers manager Jim Leyland has made a big change, benching slick-fielding rookie shortstop Jose Iglesias and shifting Jhonny Peralta back to shortstop after playing him out of position in left field with some ugly results. Don Kelly steps into the lineup for Iglesias, which is the latest in a long line of Leyland putting an awful lot of faith in the 34-year-old career .229 hitter. Leyland loves Kelly and has essentially chosen him over Iglesias while upgrading the outfield defense and downgrading the infield defense.
SP Sonny Gray
A’s manager Bob Melvin has also made some changes, led by benching Eric Sogard and starting Alberto Callaspo at second base. Melvin had previous said he wanted Sogard’s glove in the game and valued the impact Callaspo’s bat could make off the bench as a pinch-hitter, but apparently that changed. Yoenis Cespedes also moves into the cleanup spot, with Brandon Moss sliding down in the lineup.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 39
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 89
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 121
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (121)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (108)