Oct 10, 2013, 2:46 PM EDT
During the regular season Joe Kelly went from reliever to fill-in starter for the Cardinals, pitching so well that he grabbed a full-time spot, and now he’s starting Game 1 of the NLCS.
St. Louis announced its rotation with Kelly in Game 1, followed by Michael Wacha in Game 2 and Adam Wainwright in Game 3. That means standout rookie Shelby Miller will once again be relegated to the bullpen, where he threw just one inning in the NLDS.
Kelly will match up against Zack Greinke in the series opener versus the Dodgers, setting up a Wacha-Clayton Kershaw duel in Game 2. Kelly, who has a 3.03 ERA in 31 career starts since debuting last season, tossed 5.1 innings of three-run ball versus the Pirates in Game 3 of the NLDS.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)