Oct 10, 2013, 2:46 PM EDT
During the regular season Joe Kelly went from reliever to fill-in starter for the Cardinals, pitching so well that he grabbed a full-time spot, and now he’s starting Game 1 of the NLCS.
St. Louis announced its rotation with Kelly in Game 1, followed by Michael Wacha in Game 2 and Adam Wainwright in Game 3. That means standout rookie Shelby Miller will once again be relegated to the bullpen, where he threw just one inning in the NLDS.
Kelly will match up against Zack Greinke in the series opener versus the Dodgers, setting up a Wacha-Clayton Kershaw duel in Game 2. Kelly, who has a 3.03 ERA in 31 career starts since debuting last season, tossed 5.1 innings of three-run ball versus the Pirates in Game 3 of the NLDS.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)