Oct 10, 2013, 2:46 PM EDT
During the regular season Joe Kelly went from reliever to fill-in starter for the Cardinals, pitching so well that he grabbed a full-time spot, and now he’s starting Game 1 of the NLCS.
St. Louis announced its rotation with Kelly in Game 1, followed by Michael Wacha in Game 2 and Adam Wainwright in Game 3. That means standout rookie Shelby Miller will once again be relegated to the bullpen, where he threw just one inning in the NLDS.
Kelly will match up against Zack Greinke in the series opener versus the Dodgers, setting up a Wacha-Clayton Kershaw duel in Game 2. Kelly, who has a 3.03 ERA in 31 career starts since debuting last season, tossed 5.1 innings of three-run ball versus the Pirates in Game 3 of the NLDS.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 36
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 50
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)